May 26, 2006

Day of Firsts

I decided on a whim to take Zane for a haircut despite the trauma that usually ensues. For those of you that don't know, he has not been a fan of getting his haircut by any means. In the past it has meant me sitting in the chair with him trying to restrain him long enough to get the job done. We usually walk away with many tears and stray long hairs. I have even tried taking him to Cool Cuts for Kids which boasts a kid friendly atmosphere to make it more fun. That has never really mattered to Zane and we have to pay a whopping $15 there. Last time he had his haircut I asked my brother to take him hoping that if Mom was out of sight he wouldn't put on such a show. Although it went better, it still wasn't ideal.


Today I tried a random barber shop right outside of East gate and was actually hoping to find a male barber. Up until now only women have cut his hair and Zane is usually more receptive towards men so I thought that might help. The place I pulled into didn't have any male barbers and the lady talked me into giving her a try. "I'm really good", she said. And she was. I talked it up with Zane before we got there, about getting a "big boy" haircut. Maybe that made a difference, or maybe he is just getting to be a "big boy". I don't know, but today there were no tears or screams. I still had to hold him in my lap but he didn't squirm at all. He ate about 3 lollipops while she cut his hair. She took her time and did a great job. I have looked and looked but don't see any missed hairs. I was totally impressed by the entire experience. And to top it all off, it only cost $5!!!! I hope it goes this smoothly from here on out. This pic was taken in the car right after the cut.


We headed over to McDonalds for a treat when we were done there. I bought Zane an ice cream cone. His first all to himself. He did a good job of eating it. Not too messy. At the beginning he tried to bite the side of the bottom of the cone through the paper. I told him he needed to eat it from the top down. It was smooth sailing after that.
This was taken after we got back home. I don't know what to make of his expression.

As for the potty training, Zane is doing very well. This is our third day. He is able to go pee pee just about everytime I take him into the bathroom. He still isn't telling me he has to go and right now I'm not even really asking him either. I just tell him it's time to go pee pee on the toilet. I already know he is going through fewer diapers and can't wait until I don't have to buy them for him anymore.

2 comments:

Team Manager said...

Let me just add...in the first photo Zane looks like me, all sweet and innocent with his hair combed over to one side. In the second picture (the more devilish one) he looks like his Dad. Go figure!

Anonymous said...

He looks cute, but I am not sure you are sweet and innocent...that may be considered false advertising! Glad he did so well at the barber shop...I think your little boy is growing up! And not buying diapers is almost as good as winning the lottery would be...I hope it comes soon for you!