While Zane and I were in Denton earlier this month, we visited "Goatman's Bridge". I'm sure it is and has always been a popular "hangout" spot for students in the Denton area. God only knows what has gone on there. It is officially named Old Alton Bridge and it was built in 1884. It is a one lane bridge that used to be in the middle of nowhere. It is quickly becoming surrounded by new houses, roads, schools, etc. I first heard about it when I was going to college in Denton. I paid it a visit a few times, with friends and always at night. I think at that time you could actually drive over it. Now it is blocked off from traffic. Anyways, it is plenty spooky at night. I've posted it's legend below.

Taken from someone's post on an Unexplained Mysteries Forum...
"In the late 1800's Denton was quite small and Arglye (where goatmans bridge is) barely existed. There was a man that lived out that way who owned several goats and that was how he supported himself. Many of the merchants in Denton thought this old man to be very odd. This guy was a loner and no one knew much about him. Many of the older people in Denton knew this guy and remembered that his wife died mysteriously. A few of the men in Denton got drunk and started riding around the area. They found the old loner herding his goats late at night and drove the old man and his goats off the bridge. When the sheriff found out about this he investigated and could no longer find the old man or his goats.Weeks later after an event in the city a family was crossing the bridge in their wagon and could hear odd noises from underneath the bridge. After they crossed the bridge they looked back and saw the man staring at them, holding the heads of goats, one under each arm. Now the stories are that you can hear the sound of hooves on the bridge and splashes in the water and some people say they saw the man but his head was a goats head."

2 comments:
I hadn't ever heard about this. I will have to ask Bill. See if he has ever heard hooves!
Thats kinda creepy..I likey! I like the post processing too!
Post a Comment