Oct 29, 2007

Who are the people in your neighborhood?

In preparation for Trick-or-Treating, I made up little baggies with a note and a toy in each one to be given to our neighbors, to be given to Zane in lieu of candy. Does that make sense?

The note inside reads:

"Dear Neighbor,

We are asking for your help this year with Trick-or-Treat for our son, Zane. He is on a special diet to control his seizures. The diet is very strict and he can’t have any chips, cookies, candy, etc. Of course, this makes Halloween a little challenging. Please give Zane this treat when we come around on Wednesday evening for Trick-or-Treat. It will really help him enjoy the holiday despite his restrictions.

Zane is 4 years old and will be wearing black from head to toe. He will be carrying a red light saber and may or may not be wearing a red Darth Maul mask. We plan to go door to door between 5:30 and 6:30.

If you are not planning on participating in Trick-or-Treat, please return the treat to **** Sherwood Forest or call ***-**** so we can pick it up and use it at another address.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Abe and Beth Jacquot"


Much of the note and the idea for that matter came from the book I read just before starting the diet, Keto Kid. The author said they had a good response the first year and the second year they went to even more houses and had several people buy toys on their own to give her son.


Tonight Brody and I headed out with Zane's loot in hopes of finding people at home and willing to help us out. It was an interesting journey to say the least.


Out of the 16 houses we chose on our route, 6 did not have anyone at home, 4 said they would not be participating and 6 happily accepted. I heard a couple "Oh, that's a good idea". One lady accepted but is expecting her husband home from Iraq that day (yay for her!) and still is unsure if they will be home in time to pass out to the trick-or-treaters.


One lady, when asked if she would be passing out candy on Halloween looked shocked and said "no, I'm a Christian". She then proceeded to ask me if I knew Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. I just stood there like a deer caught in the headlights. You would think living in the south for so many years I would have an answer to that question prepared by now. She also gave me an earful about two blonde-haired girls that zig-zagged their way down the street on their bikes the other day right in front of her as she drove. Apparently she rolled down her window and asked the older boy they were with where their parents were and he said "what's it to ya?". After feeling scolded for their behavior I told her I didn't know who those kids belong to. She blessed me a couple times and away we went.


At another house I noticed a fall wreath hanging on their door and thought "gee, that looks familiar". Then I thought "hey, that's mine". Then I remembered that I sold that wreath at a garage sale over a year ago. Now I know where it lives. No big deal, it was just weird seeing something I used to own hanging on a stranger's door.


And perhaps the most interesting thing I saw on my journey was this jewel...(if you are squeamish, look away)



Yep, that's right, an open-faced flattened frog sandwich. It's not so unusual to see a smooshed frog, Abe's run over a couple in the last several weeks just in our driveway. But how do you explain the white bread? Do kids have nothing better to do these days? Shouldn't they be indoors melting their brains over some X-Box 360 or something?

So tomorrow night, I will make another pass through our neighborhood and try to find some more peeps at home. I'm hoping for a less eventful time.

PS- Sorry about the frog pic, folks. Abe insisted :)

11 comments:

Rinny said...

That is almost enough of a story for me to be completely okay with not knowing but a handful of our neighbors. Eeek! Well, at least you know that the neighbor with your wreath has good taste!

Lora said...

great idea for Zane! And can I steal that frog pic for my picture blog? you'll get total credit!

Anonymous said...

Wow you were attacked by a religous person in the south, I can hardly believe that. Halloween is so lame down here...I hope Zane has good evening despite his restrictions...toys last longer then candy anyways.

I like the frog pic...its interesting..lol!

NesrstaFamily said...

Ok, so I know that we have met only briefly a couple of times, but you guys are hilarious. I check out your stuff from time to time and I gotta say, you do nice work. Do you take those pictures? They are amazing. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I love this blog.

NesrstaFamily said...

Oh, and I love the frog sandwich!

Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

Oh my goodness! What a great idea! Hi, by the way, I'm a friend of Jennifer Nesrsta's. I saw your comment on her blog about how you take all your photos and you do an awesome job!!

We Four Explorers said...

I'm sure Zane will have fun with his toys. LOVE the frog sandwich. Makes a pregnant woman VERY hungry for frog! J~

Anonymous said...

THE BILL OF RIGHTS
Amendments 1-10 of the Constitution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Conventions of a number of the States having, at the time of adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added, and as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution;

Resolved, by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two-thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as amendments to the Constitution of the United States; all or any of which articles, when ratified by three-fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the said Constitution, namely:


Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

ME: Sound off, Granny--as follows..while sitting alone in an Attorney's office I was told...that I " must not be a Christian" if being hit from the rear by a car which did not apply the brakes while I was stopped at a stop sign bothered me. I immediately referred him to the above and told him: " My Father served in the Miliary in WWI; my husband served in the Milary in WWII and my Grandson is now in the Militray to PROTECT these very rights of mine and YOURS. As a result...my religon becomes MY CHOICE....not yours!!

There's one in every neighborhood in every part of the Country...IGNORE HER. BETH!! She's a troubled soul. Your Halloween Treat idea is wonderful and so sweet. Happy Halloween to my beloved kids...big and little. Sorry I'm a big mouth. I love you anyway..Granny

Anonymous said...

Right On Granny!!!Beth some of the meaness people I know are Christians,unfortunatly.I was raised in the South in the church and we trick or treated and nobody ever thought anything about it.And most still don't.This is something coming up in the last 20 years or so where they tell their children thers no Santa clause etc.Baa Humbug.I love the Granny attitude,and since I'm a granny too,I had to delurk to let you know tell em next time what Granny said.
As for the Frog and Abe insisting it kinda goes with the mouse issue,right?You have two Darling little boys and I hope you don't mind if i keep up with y'all.My dog has seizures and it's a lot for me to handle.Keep up the good work,you have wonderful ideas and great pictures.

Thad's Mom
Beth2

Planet Dixon said...

I'm a Christian and I go trick or treating!!! It makes my kids smile and the God I worship likes that. :)

I think the toy bag was such a wonderful thing for you to do. Fabulous idea...good work mom.

I'm glad to see no one took a bite out of the frog-wich. :)

Andrea said...

What a fantastic idea! I'm glad Zane still got to enjoy the festivities. Brody is beyond cute as a kangaroo, and barefoot kangaroo at that. YUCK! to the frog sandwich.