Apr 15, 2008

BRODY

One of the best things about Brody's birthday party was the bounce house my sister and I rented. It certainly gave the bigger kiddos something to do and since Brody was the only child under the age of 3, it got plenty of use. In fact, I think my sister Gwen probably spent half the day in the bounce house.
















The boy in the pic with Gwen is my nephew, Gabe. They are inseparable.



As for the rest of the party, we had a great turnout, 30 people give or take. We served appetizers, lasagna (which I made and froze at home then baked at my sister's), salad, garlic bread and pound cake with whipped cream and strawberries that Zane and I had picked a couple days before, during his class field trip to Sweet Berry Farm. I was quite busy keeping up with the food stuff. I didn't get to chat with the guests as much as I would have liked and my photographs were not very good or plentiful but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.



Brody did well and didn't mind having all the attention on him. The weather could not have been any more perfect. We had plenty of food. The guests seemed to enjoy themselves. So I guess I would say it was a success.



Monday morning I took Brody for his 12 month well baby. He weighed 22 lbs. 2 ounces (50th percentile) and was 32" long (95th percentile). We had no problems or concerns to discuss. My only questions were regarding vaccines and I'll post separately about that.



Sunday morning was my last time nursing Brody. I had planned all along to nurse him for a year. A couple weeks ago we started introducing whole milk to him and he was unsure of it at first. He would take a sip (from a cup) and swallow it but spit out the next sip. He came around within a couple days and drank it without any problems. So I've been increasing the cow's milk and gradually decreasing the breast milk. Part of me is sad to leave that part of motherhood in the past as we don't plan on having anymore children. But for the most part I am ready to have my freedom. He has adjusted without any problems so I guess he was ready, too.



Brody is a climber just like his big brother. I stood right next to him as he climbed onto a kitchen chair and then the kitchen table, trying to join Zane. I didn't help him one bit. It's scary how fearless he is. He still isn't interested in TV or Baby Einstein and doesn't sit very long with toys. He mostly likes to be on the move. He seems to favor his Daddy right now, over anyone else. He's a talker and a cuddler and he gives kisses. He recently graduated from his sleep sack (wearable blanket) and uses a loose blanket in his crib now. He has two new teeth on top and another one coming in any day now on the bottom. Tomorrow Brody will go to the CDC (child development center) on post for hourly care, for the first time. I am just taking him for 2.5 hours to see how it goes and to get to know the system again so I'm prepared when Abe goes. I'll need to use them for appointments and me time.



My little Brody is growing up so fast. He is still a happy, laid back kind of guy. I am looking forward to what the next year of his life brings.

6 comments:

Tracy Morris said...

I think Gwen had the most fun! I'm glad Brody had such an awesome 1st bday! And I still don't believe you that you are done making babes. We will see! But they do grow up so fast, and it's definitely hard to accept it. However, not changing diapers or wiping butts is the best! Good luck to Brody tomorrow, I am sure he will do just fine!

Planet Dixon said...

awww, I love me some bounce houses too! It sounds like a fabulous party for a fabulous boy! You are awesome making such a feast for that many people. I would have called for pizza delivery. :)

Chief Family Officer said...

Great party! Brody is getting so big, and he is such a busy boy.

Christie Groth said...

I just wanted to comment on what a wonderful mother you are.

NesrstaFamily said...

Your sister has Farrah Fawcett hair, I love it! You guys look like you had a blast. I love jumpers too. It is like the one thing that my kids will do for an extended period of time. Happy Birthday Brody!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful first birthday celebration for young Brody! Where has this first year gone? You are a great mother, Beth, and Abe an awesome Dad. Enjoy these special days - I'm praying for all of you. mb from tc