He went to see his Neurologist yesterday afternoon and as of this morning we will be weaning him off the Keppra. That is the only seizure med he is currently on and if all goes well he will be completely off it in 8 weeks. I feel pretty strongly that the diet is responsible for controlling Zane's seizures so I really hope we don't run into any trouble while weaning. But should he have a breakthrough seizure, we will take him back to his current dose. And if a breakthrough seizure occurs it DOESN'T mean that Zane has to start his 2 years, seizure free on the diet all over again. We would continue counting from November 17 when he became seizure free. That makes me a little more comfortable with giving this a shot. For record keeping sake, Zane weighed 41.2 pounds and was 40.5 inches tall. So that's a 2 pound weight gain and half an inch since mid-January. It's good to know he is still growing despite his diet.
Since this post is all about Zane I thought I'd share a short video clip of him from about a week and a half ago. Enjoy!

7 comments:
I am very impressed with his musical ability. Maybe he has a future in performing!
great news! I'm looking forward to hearing how everything goes.
btw, I was poolside in vegas on Saturday, talking up the diet and how well it is doing for Zane to a schoolteacher friend of mine who mentioned how shocked she was at the frequency of epileptic disorders in her school. She said she had heard of it, and would look into it and try to find a doc in her area so she can pass on the referral to her student's parents.
Great news, can't wait to hear 8wks from now that he has remained seizure free (I'm being optomistic). Gosh, what is going on w/ the kids of today? Could seizure's be realated to vaccines also. Why are there more and more kids w/ epileptic disorders? So, have you made a decision on the MMR? I am curious what you decide. Something to discuss next Tuesday?
Jake loved the video! He smiled the whole time and wanted to start playing drums too, I think Zane is his new hero for today.
I am so happy you can start the weaning process. You guys will definitey be on my mind over the next few weeks and I certainly hope he will be fine with only the dietary restrictions. Food is amazing to me sometimes....
Way to go Zane!!! That is great news. J~
That is just about the cutest thing ever. Looks like you have one very creative drummer on your hands!
Post a Comment