I have a quick minute before Brody wakes up so I thought I'd let you all know that we are still in Wisconsin and having a good time. We had a good 4th of July up at my Aunt's place in Cable, WI. The fireworks were awesome and always amaze me considering how small the town is (less than 1,000). We stayed at my parent's place this year (sometimes we stay at my Aunt's) and the boys had a good time on the lake. Zane went "fishing" a few times in the boat with Grandpa. The first day though, he dropped his pole in the water twice but they were only able to retrieve it once. He had to use his cousin's pole the rest of the time. We saw lots of wildlife while driving around up there, probably 50 deer, 4 foxes, several racoons and 2 black bears (separately). The bears were a treat because it's been a few years since I've seen any up there. We headed down to Southern WI on the 9th and have been staying at my cousin Brandon's place since then.
We had a family reunion (on my Dad's side) on the 12th. I organized it again this time (did one 3 years ago, too) and think it turned out well. We didn't have as many people attend as we did in 2005 but I think we had an unusually high number last time because they hadn't gotten together in probably 20 years. The food was good and the bounce house I rented seemed to pay off in spades. There was one semi-serious collision, though. Zane's cousin, Jake, tripped and fell on Zane, hitting his forehead on Zane's cheek. Zane wasn't crying too badly so when I went over to check on him I said "I'm sure it was an accident, you'll be alright". I could see through the netting that his cheek had a blue tint to it but at first I thought it was just a reflection from the bounce house. After taking a closer look I could see that it was already a huge bruise. He came out so I could look at it and it was hard as a rock. I had never seen a bruise do that before. We put some ice on it and back to the bounce house he went. He was a trooper though, showing it off to all the other kids. Jake had a little bump on his forehead too but both boys were good as new in no time. The party continued at Brandon's that night until nearly 2 in the morning, since there was a keg to float. I have to admit this bag of bones was in bed by 10 or 10:30 though. I can be so lame like that.
Yesterday my parents and I took the boys to downtown Madison to a Children's Museum. It was on the smallish side but there was a lot of interesting stuff in there for the boys. I know they enjoyed it and so did I. We walked around the square a little bit when we were done. It was interesting to hear my parents talk about the things that used to be there. Apparently a lot has changed. I also saw the high school where my Grandfather went for a couple years before his parents pulled him out to go to work. It's the oldest high school still operating in Madison, established in 1922.
Today I plan on taking the boys to one of the swimming beaches here at Lake Mills. It is supposed to be 89 degrees today which is on the warmer side of what we've been experiencing. While we were in Northern WI the temps were in the 70's most of the time with lows in the 40's overnight. It has been a great change of pace from the TX heat.
Our plan is still to hang around here until the end of the month. Abe's mom is stopping by for a night or two in a couple days. We are going to the Italian Fest in Milwaukee on Friday. And there is still a lot more shopping, sight-seeing and visiting to do. I hope you are all enjoying your summer, whatever your plans may be. I will be back again when I get the chance. And of course there will be pics-a-plenty to share when I return home.
We had a family reunion (on my Dad's side) on the 12th. I organized it again this time (did one 3 years ago, too) and think it turned out well. We didn't have as many people attend as we did in 2005 but I think we had an unusually high number last time because they hadn't gotten together in probably 20 years. The food was good and the bounce house I rented seemed to pay off in spades. There was one semi-serious collision, though. Zane's cousin, Jake, tripped and fell on Zane, hitting his forehead on Zane's cheek. Zane wasn't crying too badly so when I went over to check on him I said "I'm sure it was an accident, you'll be alright". I could see through the netting that his cheek had a blue tint to it but at first I thought it was just a reflection from the bounce house. After taking a closer look I could see that it was already a huge bruise. He came out so I could look at it and it was hard as a rock. I had never seen a bruise do that before. We put some ice on it and back to the bounce house he went. He was a trooper though, showing it off to all the other kids. Jake had a little bump on his forehead too but both boys were good as new in no time. The party continued at Brandon's that night until nearly 2 in the morning, since there was a keg to float. I have to admit this bag of bones was in bed by 10 or 10:30 though. I can be so lame like that.
Yesterday my parents and I took the boys to downtown Madison to a Children's Museum. It was on the smallish side but there was a lot of interesting stuff in there for the boys. I know they enjoyed it and so did I. We walked around the square a little bit when we were done. It was interesting to hear my parents talk about the things that used to be there. Apparently a lot has changed. I also saw the high school where my Grandfather went for a couple years before his parents pulled him out to go to work. It's the oldest high school still operating in Madison, established in 1922.
Today I plan on taking the boys to one of the swimming beaches here at Lake Mills. It is supposed to be 89 degrees today which is on the warmer side of what we've been experiencing. While we were in Northern WI the temps were in the 70's most of the time with lows in the 40's overnight. It has been a great change of pace from the TX heat.
Our plan is still to hang around here until the end of the month. Abe's mom is stopping by for a night or two in a couple days. We are going to the Italian Fest in Milwaukee on Friday. And there is still a lot more shopping, sight-seeing and visiting to do. I hope you are all enjoying your summer, whatever your plans may be. I will be back again when I get the chance. And of course there will be pics-a-plenty to share when I return home.

7 comments:
I'm glad you guys are having fun and keeping busy.
My grandparents met in Madison, though they weren't from there. I think it was back in 1943 or 44. My granddad was stationed there and my grandmother worked at the YWCA. Maybe our families ran into each other at some point!
I am so glad that y'all are having a wonderful time. It's nice to see family, and so nice that you have so many in the same area.
Will see you when you get back. Hug the boys for us! And then they hug you!
I'm so glad you all are having a wonderful time and getting a break from this heat! Looking forward to your return!!!
Wow, sounds like you guys are having a GREAT time. I am so glad you are able to spend some time with family. I can't wait to read all about your adventures. Take care, we miss you!
Looks like you're having fun! Good, I'm glad you're keeping busy. Have a safe trip. See ya when we all get home and back to school. J~
Enjoy every minute. You're not missing anything here. Just HOT every day with no rain in sight. Enjoy that cooler northern air for us!
I'm glad that you are having so much fun!! :)
Post a Comment