Sep 4, 2008

Uneasy

Let me start by saying that last week I decided to let Zane pick out his own outfit for school every Friday. I just thought it would be something new and different and hey, the kid's got to learn sometime right? Last week he did good, although I may have persuaded him in the right (by right I mean matching) direction just a little bit.

Really and truly I want this to be something he does without my influence so tonight I let him pick and I tried to keep my opinions out of it. Although when he pointed to the winter pj's that he hasn't yet grown into, I had to say "no". So he picked a t-shirt, picked his underwear and then opened the drawer of shorts. He picked a plaid pair that I put with only one of the shirts he owns and it ain't the t-shirt he picked out. So I put a smile on my face but apparently it was more of a grimace because he looked at me and asked if it was okay? I said "well, I wouldn't put them together but if that's what you want to wear then that's fine".

Now the clothes are laid out on the couch for morning and my OCD self cringes everytime I look at the mismatched ensemble. I wish it didn't drive me crazy but it does. I know it won't bother him one bit so why should it bother me. I won't be at school with him, I will barely have to see him in the outfit. Could it be that I need some professional therapy??? Don't answer that.
I'll try to snap a picture of him tomorrow before or after school so you can get a visual.

3 comments:

Yours truly said...

Sometimes I cringe when Kevin picks out his clothes. I mean he picks out his own clothes, not JT's.

troglodytis said...

everyone is gonna judge you. :)


i'm pretty sure that not matching to an extreme is a way of matching. and i'm always the height of fashion.

Planet Dixon said...

My daughter is 10 and I still make her change sometimes. If she's playing outside that is one thing, but if she is going somewhere that someone is going to think I picked a mismatched ensemble, then NO WAY. So, you are doing way better than I am. I'll still be fussing at her about her socks not matching when she's 30. ;-)