Jan 15, 2009

Brothers

If you had asked me a month ago if Brody enjoyed puzzles, I would have said "not so much". I didn't tuck them away though. He's had a few wooden puzzles at his disposal and seems to actually be interested in them now. Today, I found one in Zane's closet that I didn't even realize was there. So I pulled it out and Brody damn near nailed it on the first try. It has about 9 different shapes; circle, square, diamond, triangle, oval, etc. I was very proud of him. And I'm sure I started it but he demanded a high five (he pronounces it eee-hive) after every piece.

This evening I was explaining to Zane Brody's big accomplishment. He didn't seem to think it was anything special. But a little while later Zane was on the floor near that same puzzle and started asking "Brody, do you want to work this puzzle?" Brody kept saying no. I told Zane to hold out a piece to Brody and sure enough it sucked him right in. Zane was very encouraging. In fact he said "come on Brody, show us your shape skills". I nearly busted a gut. I'm sure Zane got that from school because I've never uttered those words.

Sometimes it feels like the moments are few and far between, but when Zane does step into his "big brother" role, it's a wonderful thing to witness.

3 comments:

Tracy Morris said...

I love those moments too :)

NesrstaFamily said...

These are the days I am glad that I have two. Now, ask me when they are ripping the skin off each other and its a different story....not really, but I do love it! Very cute story.

Andrea said...

LOL about the high-fives and Zane's "shape skills" comment. I just love those little moments when they really connect with each other as friends and siblings.