Apr 3, 2006

Georgetown

Today, Zane and I headed to Georgetown, TX for some shopping, lunch and playing. I wanted to get a few things on sale at Michaels for scrapbooking and Easter. Georgetown has the closest Michaels at about 35-40 minutes away from Killeen. That was our first stop followed by a very quick stop at Hobby Lobby. We drove over to the old downtown area of Georgetown and found a place located on the square for lunch.
The County Seat Cafe is located in the M.B. Lockett building. The food was nothing to rave about, but the warm feeling you got just walking in the door was worth it. They actually had some good looking homemade pies at the counter, but we didn't order dessert. I had a sandwich and Zane had chicken strips. We each enjoyed a nice glass of fresh squeezed lemonade. Downtown Georgetown reminded me of Denton's downtown. It looked as if they were renovating or doing some kind of construction on their old courthouse.
Before we left home I had found a park online for us to check out while we were down there. San Gabriel Park is home to some 200 year old oak trees. The San Gabriel river runs through the park and makes for a very pretty view. Zane and I found a little playground near the river and played there first. Then we headed over to the river and fed the ducks some bread. We did some walking and Zane threw some rocks into the water. When we were getting ready to head home I left the park a different way than we came in. That's when I discovered the mother of all playgrounds.

It was next door to the Georgetown Recreation Center which was just on the edge of the park. I'm not sure if this playground is considered part of San Gabriel Park but it was open and I decided we couldn't pass up the opportunity to play, again. And who says you can't play at more than one park a day?!?! It reminds me of Eureka Park in Denton, but much better. It was awesome. I can't wait to take Zane back again and make it our main attraction. It was huge and designed very creatively. It was built around some great shade trees and there were benches in the middle of the playground under the trees. There weren't any dangerous drop offs; either you got down via a slide or the stairs you climbed getting up there. It was just beautiful. I hope we can make it down there as a family while Abe is home on R&R.
Georgetown is beautiful and now I am looking forward to even more exploratory trips to that area. You can find more pictures of our day in the photo collection at right.

2 comments:

ChristyR said...

Looks like an awesome park. Where I grew up that is how they were. Georgetown looks like a neat place to go exploring. Good for you guys! Thanks for the info about the new store..I might have to go see about a job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth. Somehow my husband, Ken, found your blog on the web. My name is also Beth Jacquot. I am very curious about how you pronounce your last name?

We use the French pronunciation, Zso-ko, the first o is short and the second long, and the accent is on the second syllable.

Anyway, my husband and I also call ourselves, "Team Jacquot".

Very small world.