Apr 24, 2006

We're Back...


We got back in town on Friday from our trip to Wisconsin. We had a great time! But then it's Wisconsin, and I always have a great time up there. There will be pics and stories of our trip in the near future.

The new pics at right are from April 14th. We left that evening for Wisconsin but these were taken in Little Elm before we hit the road. My Dad's company held a fish fry and Easter egg hunt for its' employees and family members. There was a relatively small turnout but Zane's cousins were there and they had fun climbing on the school buses. Then they participated with the other kids in an egg hunt and received prizes. We ate and then a Little Elm fire truck and ambulance showed up for the kiddos to explore. Zane was the first one in the truck. And he and Jake spent about 15 minutes in the ambulance later on. It was a good time and after all that excitement and not having a nap that day, Zane fell asleep rather quickly once we hit the road to Wisconsin.

I took Zane to the CDC for 4 hours this morning so that I could come home and do yardwork. About 3 blisters and one flesh wound to the thigh later, I had the mowing, weed eating, edging, sweeping and watering done. I also had just enough time to take a shower before returning to get him. And I desperately needed one. I guess next time I will wear long pants instead of shorts, because by the time I was done, my legs looked like they needed mowing.

I know I could pay someone to do the yardwork for me, while Abe is gone. But taking Zane to the CDC cost me $14 and paying someone to mow the yard would probably run me at least $30 each time. I did think I would have to hire someone because in the past I often had trouble starting our mower and weed eater. But so far this season I have had success every time. I also enjoy doing yardwork. It is about 2 1/2 hours of physical labor, but it is empowering just knowing that I can take care of it all by myself. Now in another month when things really start heating up around here and it needs to be done weekly, I may be singing a different tune. Maybe I will hire someone to do it half of the time.

And Abe, I am convinced that we should shell out the money for a blower. By the time I got around to the sweeping, my hands were already screaming "no more!". I think it would be money well spent. And I also need to confess to you, that I lowered the mower one notch. I am trying to buy more time between mowings and if I think it needs to be raised again when it gets hotter, I will do it. Deal?

Alright, well Zane is napping, which is my cue to do the same. Happy Monday!

2 comments:

ChristyR said...

That is too funny you mention the thing about lowering the blade....my dad always kept the blade on the highest setting and we would try to get away with lowering it but it never worked. We always got caught. I thought we were the only ones with blade level issues. Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

More power to you for doing all the yardwork yourself...there is money to be made if you come do mine...lol.

I think Abe should grant your wish for a blower...but maybe you should ask for something a little more grand like diamonds, or electronics or something fun? Just and idea. I am happy that you all are back from Wisconsin and that you had fun up there. Thanks for my chocolates...they are yummy.