Apr 19, 2007

Our week in review...






Let me start with last Thursday. Things went well during the labor and delivery. I tolerated more contractions than I did with Zane. Eventually they gave me some demerol which I totally loved. It knocked me out for a solid 2 hours and I didn't feel a thing. It was early enough in the day that I was wide awake long before it was time to push. As the contractions got closer together and more intense I began to ask for my epidural. Once I got that everything was golden. Around 6:40 pm they said I was ready to push. But then we found out the doctor had left the building for dinner and we would have to wait for him to return. They claimed my full bladder was the only thing holding the baby in. Once the doctor returned we got down to business. I had great help from my mom and Abe. They each had one leg and assisted in the pushing, acting as human stirrups. For those of you that don't have kids, nothing really matters when it comes to delivering a baby. There is no modesty, at least not for me. Anyways 20 minutes later and out popped Brody. We also had Abe's Dad, step-mom and his twin brother and sister in town, helping out with Zane and visiting us at the hospital that evening. We can't say enough how much we appreciate all of their and my mom's help that day. It was comforting to know Zane was in good hands. And I just have to brag on myself for a second. The nursing staff said I was the best patient they had had in years. I'm not sure how I earned that distinction but I'll take it.



Brody and I came home from the hospital Friday night. My mom left for home on Saturday afternoon. We all went to a birthday party on Sunday for one of Zane's little friends. Abe had the honor of breaking open the pinata after many failed attempts by the 3-5 year olds. Sunday evening we gave Zane his first bicycle. We presented it to him as a gift from Brody. I'm not sure that part made much of an impression on him, though. As you can see in the pictures, it is a Spiderman 3 bike. We did manage to get him to ride it and he did pretty good by himself (with the help of training wheels, of course) but he really wasn't into it like we had hoped he would be. On Monday, Abe's mom came into town to help out for a couple of nights. She cooked fajitas for us on Tuesday and they were very good. That's something we never make for ourselves, so it was an extra special treat. Also on Tuesday night, a crazy front moved in just before sundown. You can see how grey and freaky the clouds looked in the pics above. It totally had a Something Wicked This Way Comes feel to it. On Wednesday, Abe's uncle Paul stopped in on his way to San Antonio. It was his first time to our place and we all had a nice visit with him. My mother-in-law left after dinner that night. I guess that brings us to today. We got some things done around the house to include some yardwork. Abe picked up our Durango from the dealership which was having something repaired...right before our warranty expires.



As you can see things have been pretty busy around here. Brody is doing well. He sleeps all the time. I mean like all day long. He is usually up for a few hours in the evening/night but I can honestly say he sleeps on average 20 hours a day right now. We are enjoying it while it lasts. But because I am trying to nurse him every 2-3 hours, I still get very broken sleep. With Abe home though, I am able to nap once or twice during the day/evening. Things are going to be very rough when Abe goes back to work. I'm already dreading it. He has been a huge help in so many ways. He has become the primary caretaker and playmate for Zane. He has taken over many of the household chores to include cooking some meals. He is constantly checking to see if I need anything. With him around I am able to shower daily and at my convenience, which won't be so easy when he returns to work. You moms out there know what I mean. And naps will be near impossible when he's not around. Plus he has had to deal with my hormonal imbalance on a few occassions. I can't say enough good things about the guy. I am so lucky to have him by my side.



Well that should just about bring everyone up to speed. Thanks again to everyone for all your kind words and support.

2 comments:

Rinny said...

The pictures of the sky, and especially the ones with Zane in them could be movie posters! You are so talented. Brody continues to just be adorable. I don't know why we are even going to have a kiddo with so many adorable ones running around!
Love all around.

Anonymous said...

Aw don't dread Abe going back to work...you will be fine! I started full time college one month after Payton was born and we didn't use daycare or babysitters...so if I can do that you can definitely do it! Sounds like things are going well over there, lucky you Brody sleeping 20 hours a day!