May 25, 2007

The Messenger

My wonderful, sensitive, compassionate and caring husband just left to notify somebody that their loved one is seriously injured or dead. Maybe those characteristics will make him a good man for the job but I just HATE that he has to do this. I hate even more that some unsuspecting person or family is about to have the worst day of their life. It's not something I wanted to think about but everyday while Abe was in Iraq I dreaded what it would be like to have two uniformed men show up at my door. Everybody in the military community knows what that means. I'm all jittery, sad and nervous as if I know the people. Abe won't be given any details until he gets to the office that handles these affairs. He will accompany a Chaplain to the residence to break the news in person. If they can't locate the person/family tonight then they will start trying again tomorrow morning at 6am. Abe didn't seem too freaked out on the outside while he was getting in his dress uniform but I think he was probably nervous on the inside. Maybe he has already accepted this extra duty of his, but I'm not handling it so well. This is his first notification since completing the training a week ago. I hope he doesn't ever have to do this again, but I'm afraid that just isn't realistic.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a little freaked out and he isn't even my husband...it happens a lot around here I am sure but knowing that an unexpecting wife is about to face our worst nightmare, well it's definitely unsettling.

Edward said...

I really don't see how those of you that have a husband or wife in the military do it. That constant shadow would drive me nuts. I'm constantly amazed at how you all keep it together.

All of you soldiers and spouses deserve much better than what you're getting.

Anonymous said...

Beth, I am probably not quoting exactly right, but close--" Never before in our history has so much been owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill...The Battle of Britian...

and now those words go to you and Abe and all those like you!! I've always known Abe was all those things that you used to describe him, since he was so little...and then when he brought you into our lives...I knew that you were those things, too. I feel so sad. So sad. and so very sorry. And my love and my heart reaches out to you.. May God bless you each one.....Love to all Granny

Anonymous said...

As to the "constant shadow" Edward remarked about, I think military personnel just truly appreciate each and everyday for what it is worth. Nothing is taken for granted, especially, in their circumstances. I would also feel sad inside having to be the messenger. Hopefully Abe will hold up o.k. with the training he received. Yes, it is also hard for you Beth. Stay strong, eat right, and think positive. mb from tc

Rinny said...

No, probably not realistic to think that Abe will not have to do this again, but feeling the way that you do, and I am fairly certain that he feels the same way, is what makes y'all who you are.