Zane gave us quite a scare Friday night. We (Abe and I) are still trying to re coop, emotionally. He and Abe went to see Spiderman 3 and with about 10 minutes of the movie remaining, Zane had a seizure. It was during the climax and there was a lot of action. There were also several flashing green lights just before the seizure began. Zane was sitting on Abe's lap at the time and just suddenly arched his back. Abe carried him out to the lobby and instructed someone to call 911. Zane's eyes were dilated and he foamed at the mouth a little bit. It lasted 3 minutes or less before Zane came to. They went by ambulance to the hospital. Tracy was able to come stay with Brody so I could meet them in the ER. Our only child friendly vehicle was in the parking lot at the movie theatre. They did blood work, ran a CT scan and an EKG on Zane before releasing him. Everything came back normal. He slept a couple of times throughout this entire ordeal. And by bedtime that night he seemed completely normal and acted as if nothing had happened. He has never had a seizure before and as far as we know there is no family history of seizures, either. Abe was understandably shaken, having witnessed the entire incident. And I felt helpless and guilty for not being there when it happened. It was the first time we had to see Zane in a hospital bed, with an IV in his arm and every time he asked to go home it just broke my heart. He had no idea what was going on. I hope he never has to visit an ER again.
He went to his doctor's office this morning. They didn't really give us any new information. But they have submitted a referral for Zane to see a Pediatric Neurologist. We should be hearing something about that within 3 days. From what they told us in the ER, the seizure was probably triggered by the movie and the neurologist will run some more tests to rule out anything else. I've done very little research online but I did find a website describing photosensitive epilepsy. There is a lot of info online regarding this, but I figure I should wait to do much digging until after we have been to see the specialist. Hopefully we'll have some answers soon.
Here are a couple other updates, while I'm thinking of them and have a minute...
Abe has been back for an MRI on his wrist and it came back negative for any cyst. Apparently it did dissolve on its' own. Too bad they didn't figure that out before they cut him open. He is now going to occupational therapy.
We have arranged to have our phone service through Time Warner. It will be bundled with our cable and internet and for the first year we will save about $75/mo over what we pay now. Our phone number will remain the same. See ya later, Embarq.
He went to his doctor's office this morning. They didn't really give us any new information. But they have submitted a referral for Zane to see a Pediatric Neurologist. We should be hearing something about that within 3 days. From what they told us in the ER, the seizure was probably triggered by the movie and the neurologist will run some more tests to rule out anything else. I've done very little research online but I did find a website describing photosensitive epilepsy. There is a lot of info online regarding this, but I figure I should wait to do much digging until after we have been to see the specialist. Hopefully we'll have some answers soon.
Here are a couple other updates, while I'm thinking of them and have a minute...
Abe has been back for an MRI on his wrist and it came back negative for any cyst. Apparently it did dissolve on its' own. Too bad they didn't figure that out before they cut him open. He is now going to occupational therapy.
We have arranged to have our phone service through Time Warner. It will be bundled with our cable and internet and for the first year we will save about $75/mo over what we pay now. Our phone number will remain the same. See ya later, Embarq.
Happy Monday, All!

8 comments:
I know that y'all were scared out of your wits! You told us the story yesterday, but even reading it again today still makes my heart drop. I feel certain that it will just be a result of the movie, best wishes to y'all. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts. He sure doesn't seem to be adversely effected though. You can't keep Spiderman down!
I hope the neurologist can give you some answers and quickly! I'm just glad Zane is OK, my heart was pounding the whole way to your house so I can only imagine how you and Abe must have felt.
And you should have listened to me a long time ago when I told you to give up the regular phone! Time Warner is so much cheaper!
Whoa! Okay, Phil and Gabe are at movies RIGHT NOW going to see Spiderman.....
Hope all is okay with Zane.
Take care,
Janet
I can't imagine how scary that is. I joke all the time how I'm afraid to take kids to the movies because of the lights and the noise and everything, as I always feel so over stimulated at the theater. I am done kidding about it and will be taking it seriously from now on. My thoughts are with the family.
My prayers are with you guys. I have a girlfriend here who has gone throught alot with her daughter who i think is now 5 . She has seizures and they come on at nighttime..I am going to email her and get the low down. I am praying for you guys.
love We 4 kings
Am so sad to learn of this scary episode in young Zane's life. I will lift all of you in prayer this was a one time deal and no additional medical problems are discovered. mb from TC
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry - I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must have been. I'm so glad he's ok.
Post a Comment