Aug 17, 2007

How do we do it?

It has been clear throughout Zane's ordeal with Epilepsy that he has a lot of people who love him very much. But along the way I have gotten a lot of "how are you and Abe doing?" or "how do you keep from being a complete basketcase?". We appreciate everyone's concern. I usually say "we have good days and bad days". Ultimately though, it is the support we receive from friends and family that is helping us through the most difficult thing we have dealt with as parents. We are so fortunate to have so many loved ones in our lives pulling not only for Zane but for all of us.



I've mentioned emails and visits in the past but I've got a couple more to add to the list of our supporters. Last weekend my friend Jenny, her husband Randy and their daughter Claire drove 3 hours from Frisco just to spend some time with us. They drove the 3 hours home that same night. It touches us very deeply that they went through all that trouble just to come help distract us and bring some happiness to our day. We had a great time visiting and Claire and Zane played very well together the entire day. Jenny and I have been very close friends since the 6th grade although we actually met for the first time in 1st grade. It is ALWAYS good for my soul to see her.











On Sunday my sister Gwen showed up and didn't have to return home until today. We had a great time hanging out together. It was very relaxing. She helped out by cooking dinner one night, doing some cleaning and watching the boys on and off for us throughout the week...to include Wednesday evening while Abe and I went to eat at Nami's, just the two of us. That was a real treat for us. She loves all of her nephews very much and has such a happy spirit about her that it just lifted our heavy hearts.







We are by no means perfect, Abe and I. We have had our not-so-proud moments when dealing with Zane and his new behavior issues. We have not always been upbeat and optimistic either. Last week I was in the dumps and Abe was the strong one. This week has been particularly rough for Abe and I have been trying to cheer him up. It all seems to balance out in the end. As we move forward with the diet next week we are trying to keep an open mind and do everything we can to make the transition eaiser for Zane. But again, I have to thank all of you for your continued support and offers to help in anyway possible. We love you all!!!

4 comments:

Rinny said...

Strong families are an amazing thing. So are friends and family. You lean on them and they stand straight and become your rock. And then, when they need you to be a rock you are there. There aren't enough words to express how special and important all of you are to us.
If there is anything we can do to help out for y'all.....we are rock ready.

Yours truly said...

I haven't posted much about all this but Kevin and I are keeping you guys in our thoughts.

The beauty of marriage and partnership is the ability to balance each other during the hard times.

You guys are doing great.

Tracy Morris said...

It's no secret that you and Abe are very strong, and that Zane is very lucky to have you two on his team!! Even if everyone else disappeared and you had to do this on your own, I have no doubt you would rock it. But friends and family definitely make it easier!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Beth... We love you all so much. Im so glad youve had friends and family around you. I wish I could be there with you more often to share the burden and the fear. I still think things are going to be okay for Zane. Like Jenny (Knight) told me... we just don't know what okay is yet. We can only hope for the best. You two are coping amazingly well, even if it doesn't always feel like it. No matter how things turn out, Zane will still be Zane and we will love him forever. Love you guys..