
Zane had a drop seizure at school today. He landed on his bottom, sitting upright but somehow managed to bust his lip open. The teacher didn't seem to think he hit his mouth on anything so the only other explanation would be if he popped himself in the mouth with his hand or maybe had his fingers in his mouth when he fell. In any case he went to the nurse's office where they got the bleeding under control and they had ice on it until I got there to pick him up. It was still very swollen though. More so than what you see in the picture which was taken 10 hours after the incident. I took him from school straight to the ER on post because there was quite a gash under his lip that we thought could use some stitches.
Unfortunately for us the waiting room was jam packed so we spent 8 1/2 hours there. And to top it off they didn't do any stitches. The doctors said that flap of skin that he split wide open, is very fragile and doesn't really take stitches. They expect him to heal quickly and without much difficulty. They told us some warning signs and sent us on our way.
Zane hasn't complained about it hurting. He was a real trooper all day. His teacher and nurse said he is very brave. I had to run home to grab dinner for him. Fortunately I had made some keto cheesecakes for him today which was the perfect thing to be able to just grab and go. And it has a soft texture so he never complained about pain while eating it. And in another stroke of luck, his keto bread showed up via UPS while I was home which was less than an hour. I was concerned they were going to bake on our doorstep while we were at the ER. So now the boys are finally in bed and I must go grab a shower and hit the hay.
By the way, the red line on Zane's cheek is not from the fall. That is from his teacher's identification badge. It scratched him while she was holding him.

5 comments:
there are many things that I can't understand in this world, and one is how you get your boys to stay still for camera shots in all sorts of positions....like showing off a gash in his mouth. Talent.
Hugs and Smooches all around your family today. And extra love for Zane-a-rino!
poor zane, i hope his lip feels better today! and poor you for having to sit at Darnall for 8.5 hours.
Bless little Zane...I'm so sorry he got hurt and split his lip. I have no experience with Post E.R.'s but 8 and 1/2 hrs...is unbelievable!! That doesn't add up to " emergency" treatment in my civilian book!! What a great Mom!!Glad the bread came. My admiration for you in Team Jacquot is beyond words...and my love stretches out to you...Love Granny
You poor thing. I know that must have been so hard for you. I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble with the seizures and I pray that the medication/diet gets it under control soon.
Hang in there mama! HUGS to you and your precious boys.
Nicole
OUCH! and poop on ER for such a horrible wait. A friend of mine has gone out to Lampasas ER before which is a longer drive but shorter wait, maybe try that next time. I cut that same lip flap around Kindergarten and no stitches for me either. I remember being terrified to get stitches in my mouth! Fastforward 10 years and I bit through my bottom lip thus confirming my fear of how horrible it is to get stitches in your mouth. I feel for Zane :(
Post a Comment