Oct 25, 2007

Ever wonder...

what you should do with all those index prints you get back from the photo lab?







I mean you can't quite make yourself throw them away because they are pics of your family, pets, car, earwax, what-have-you. Who cares if they are smaller than a quarter. I'm pretty sure if you tried to throw them away, you would have trouble sleeping at night. So here is a quick and creative way to use them...



Turn them into magnets!!







You will need diamond glaze which can be found online or at your local craft/hobby store, bottlecaps, scissors, fun paper, adhesive, magnets and small scrapbooking embellishments. What you see here is a 2 inch bottlecap from Maya Road. I've never seen them in a store so you will have to look online. They come in a package of 10 for about $5. I found round magnets at Hobby Lobby with adhesive on one side and they were inexpensive and just the right size for the job.



Cut out the index print you want to use. Trace around the bottlecap onto the paper you want to use as your background. Cut it out. Adhere your pic and embellishments to the paper circle. Put a little adhesive on the back of your circle and stick to the inside of the bottlecap. With the bottlecap laying completely flat, fill with a layer of diamond glaze until desired thickness. I use enough to cover the 3-D embellishments. Don't move the bottlecap for at least 24 hours while it air dries. If you see bubbles form as it dries, you can attempt to pop them with a needle. I decided to leave the bubbles in the above magnet. Sometimes you can do more harm than good if you mess with it. Once it is dry you can stick a magnet on the back and you are all done.



When you do one you will see how fun and easy they are and find yourself making a whole assortment of them.







Although I'm too selfish to give mine away, this would make a great gift for friends and family. Let me know if you make any, I want to see pics. And just so you know, I did not think this up on my own. I stole the idea from someone who probably stole it from somebody else.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth! This is an awesome idea! Lauren does the bottle caps from a book called Klutz. She's always looking for more pics. I'm going to mention this to her! Thank you! You all have a great weekend! Thinking of you.......

Rinny said...

I think I have found my next craft project.

Lora said...

you're a genius, even if you're inspired by others. too bad i threw these all out literally this week! i felt horrible and now i want every damned one of them back. sometimes i feel like if i had less junk my life would be perfect but now i realize that it is worse. next time i'm going to save them and use them as confetti at my pity party.

Anonymous said...

I still have the little caps that you gave me...maybe I can put them to use on Dec 12th, when I am home bored with no homework (yay!).

Love the new one of Brody!

Andrea said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that idea. I saw another use for those a while back and can't remember what it was... I'll let you know when I think of it.

NesrstaFamily said...

Oh my God, that's brilliant. Ok, I am going to run to the nearest bookstore to look up "How to stop being the most boring person on this Earth." I have no creative bone, zero. Nice work!