Nov 8, 2007

Slow Day

I'll know by your comments (or lack of) just how lame this post may be, but I can't think of anything else to blog about at the moment.




The other day I overheard a conversation (mostly one-sided, actually) between two Moms while waiting for Zane after school. To paraphrase, the one doing all the talking basically thinks to have a "perfect attendance" award at school is encouraging parents to send their sick children to school when they should be at home. And as a result spreading their germs to the other children.




It was definitely something I had not give any thought to. I'm not sure how I feel about the subject or if I even care. I will say that I distinctly remember a boy while I was growing up that had perfect attendance all the way up to high school. I'm not certain but I would be surprised if he made it through high school with perfect attendance, but who knows. Other than that I don't remember "perfect attendance" impacting my life at all.




Do parents really care that much about "perfect attendance" that they would send their child to school no matter what? How do you feel?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Kiara had perfect attendance last year...and she never went to school sick. Payton almost had PA but at the very end of the school year she got sick and missed one entire day. I don't care about them having perfect attendance...what I care about is teaching them that school is important and to take it seriously...yes even K and 1st grade. Good habits are made young.

And also, I would send them to school sick that I don't miss class...does that count?! hahaha. OK only kidding (sorta)!

Rinny said...

I have no strong feelings one way or the other about perfect attendance....but then again....I don't have kiddos. Ask me again in a couple of years.

troglodytis said...

perfect attendance is MUST! how can our sons' and daughters' not realize self-fulfillment if WE hold them back from the goal and award of perfect attendance? there are accolades to be had, and i will not stop my fictional children from achieving their dreams!

the perfect attendance award is a great way to show our children that it is not if you win or lose. hell, it's not even that you give it your all, how you play, or even try. nope, what matters is that you took the time to show up, therefore, you are a WINNAR(and all the others are LOSERS!)

yes, with their perfect attendance award in hand, my fictional children will walk this earth a little taller. eventually growing to be RULERS OF THE WORLD! why? cause they were there.

Planet Dixon said...

I remember some kids getting the perfect attendance in school when I was little, and I thought it was so cool (what award isn't)??!! But, I sure was glad the time that I got to skip school to go to Six Flags. I would have given up any award for that. I don't see how it is possible to have perfect attendance. Everyone gets sick sometimes, right?! I think it is pretty silly and an unachievable goal. With a family of five, someone is always sick around here.
That being said, I did miss more college than I attended! I guess that shows you how much attendance means to me. ;-P I learn better on my own without people in the class rambling and asking stupid questions, and I managed to get out of school with a great GPA, despite my lack of attendance. HEE HEE

Anonymous said...

Taylor has gotten the award quite a few grading periods, never the whole year though. The only thing I ever noticed about perfect attendance was that the most annoying kid in Taylor's class, had it. Hmm, coincidence? You tell me. Taylor doesn't go to school sick though. Maybe I have the luxury of deciding how sick, sick is, because I don't work away from home. I think that has a big factor on kids attendance as well. Oh, Taylor has missed school for military homecoming trips out of state and to me, those are more important that 1 day of school any day of the year. But every situation is different to every parent.

PHILLIP said...

I bet you wouldn't have thought that your little comment would cause such an uproar. Though we teach Gabe that being in school everyday is important, we also teach him that consideration for the teacher and other students is just as important. He's already missed one day this year for being sick and contagious. I guess it is a damn silly award now that you think about it.