Aug 20, 2008

A Day To Celebrate

One year ago today Zane was in the hospital to initiate the Ketogenic Diet. He was having countless seizures a day and the diet was our next best option after medication seemed to be failing to completely control his epilepsy. Honestly, that time feels much longer ago to me. Those days were so very dark that I've probably suppressed them as far back in my mind as possible.





He has done so amazingly well on the diet. He's been seizure free since November 17th, 2007 and medication free since June 3rd, 2008. Earlier this month his diet changed to allow more carbs, which is the first step in weaning off of it. He has remained seizure free with that big change despite a bout of vomiting last week. It is common for kids to have breakthrough seizures during times of illness but Zane has fortunately avoided any of those. I can't express how lucky I feel we are to have Dr. Crisp and Amy Cantrell on our team as we fight his epilepsy. I hope the days ahead remain as worry free and positive as the last several months have.





In an effort to celebrate his one year mark or half-way point, Zane and I are having a little date today. We are going to lunch, then to see "The Clone Wars" and shopping for school supplies after that. Brody will be home with a sitter so it will be some special "Mommy and Zane" time. If you know Zane at all, you can imagine how excited he is to see this new movie. I'm very excited about our "date" as well.







9 comments:

Rinny said...

And knowing that he thinks you are the best mom in the world, I am sure he is happy about his mom time too. Congratulations to all Jacquots everywhere. It was rough, but y'all persevered.

Debra said...

Gosh Beth I am soo happy for you and Zane. I hope your little date goes well. Motherhood is so natural for you, hasnt a little someone told you before you are the best mom in the world? I completely agree.

jessicatodd said...

I am so glad Zane is doing so awesome on his diet! The date sounds like so much fun!

Jenn Kruse said...

How wonderful! There's nothing quite like one-on-one time with mom. His diet is amazing!!!!

troglodytis said...

zane, YOU ROCK!

your big boobed mom is pretty good, too.

Christie Groth said...

I could not be happier for you guys. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it has all been just for you. I hope all continues on a path to success and he has his cake soon!

Anonymous said...

You are the best mommy!!! Zane and Brody are so blessed to have you. I know how tough this has been, and we are so happy our Zane is doing so well!!!!!

Jaime

Planet Dixon said...

I'm so glad Zane is doing so well and I'm sure you both loved the date!

Andrea said...

I'm so happy to read the wonderful news! I'm so glad for you all that you have such great doctors and that the diet has worked so well for him. Here's to Zane's continued good health!