We dropped Abe off at the airport about 45 minutes ago. Zane held up like a trooper. He took my advice about being brave and strong better than I did. Not that I told him he couldn't cry, we are certainly not above crying. Which I so aptly demonstrated today. I shed a few tears and mostly tried not to speak much because crying and talking just don't mix well on me. Brody was visibly upset during the goodbyes and simply refused to give any hugs and kisses. Maybe he thought if he didn't give any, Daddy wouldn't have to leave. I think the driving away would have been easier on me but every time Brody cried out "daddy" or pointed to the empty passenger seat and said "daddy seat", it just twisted my heart in a tiny little knot.
With Zane's help we quickly steered the conversation away from "Daddy's got to go back to work" to let's practice April Fool's Day. So we took turns coming up with tricks such as "Zane, when we get home I need to change your diaper". And by the time we were home everyone was a giggly mess and even Brody was saying "April Fool's" in a sing-songy "I gotcha" voice.
So now Brody is napping, Zane's watching a movie and I'm in a funk but I know myself and it won't last long. Have no fear, I'll be up and running in no time. Within a couple days I hope to have lots of pics to share. For now I'll just say that our time with Abe was wonderful and blissful and full of laughs and much needed and awesome and I can honestly say it didn't go by as quickly as I feared it would.
It was PERFECT!

5 comments:
Hugs to all Jacquots everywhere.
Wow that went too fast. I'm sure you have so many happy memories from the past weeks. If it helps his return seem sooner, we were at our pre-deployment brief tonight. So fun... I honestly see Abe & Kevin's return as a "silver lining" to Dave's leaving. I will be so happy for those families to come home even if it means its mine's turn to go.
Wish you all the best. I will be happy to be a shoulder to cry on. It looks like you got some extra time with him, so that is good. Glad your time was PERFECT...couldn't ask for more.
See you soon.
thanks for sharing a bit of time with me.
now let's get our ROCK ON!!
Thinking of you! Glad you had a great time together. Won't be long for the homecoming!
Post a Comment