with our landlords' generosity.
I guess if you're going to have problems with your neighbors, this is a good one to have. I don't know what they've heard about Americans and food but we can't eat their gifts fast enough. They always bring enough for a small army.
Pictured above are ginseng root, sweet persimmons (top) and chapssal ppang. They instructed us to "grind" up the ginseng and add it to milk. One root per glass and have one per day. They also said it takes 5 years to grow one of those. I'm wondering how much of that was lost in translation. They told us to eat the persimmons while they are hard. We still have some persimmons from the last time Mrs. Chon came over and those were supposed to be eaten soft. I'm so confused. And this is the second time they've brought over chapssal ppang. They are dusted in sugar and look like they should be light and airy donuts. But they are actually heavy. The inside is some kind of dense, gummy like substance. Not at all what you would expect. I think we're still getting used to them but I suspect we'll be craving the chapssal ppang after we return to the States. Mr. Yu teaches near a bakery so I bet we'll see lots more in our future.
Did I mention they brought over a bundle of Korean candy for each of the boys on Halloween? So sweet, they are.


No comments:
Post a Comment