Mar 5, 2006

Giddy Up!!!


I just finished making my first canvas; scrapbook style. I LOVE IT!! This is going to be hung in Zane's room. I have been collecting all the materials for it over the past several days. Today was the day I could put it all together. I owe a big thanks to Christine for letting me borrow some supplies and tools. Abe, just know without her help, I would have had to spend a lot more money to make this! I just did the math and this project cost around $11 to complete (not counting things I borrowed from Christine) and that includes the 12x12 canvas. It is hard to make out the details from the photo, but the blue mat is actually denim material from an old pair of jeans. I sewed it to the paper with my sewing machine and some heavy duty thread for jeans. The brown paper is a cowboy collage. But you can't make out any of the images from these pics. The picture of Zane was taken in May of last year, so I guess he was a little over 1 1/2 years old. The canvas was white to begin with so I painted the sides brown. And the word "Buckaroo" is actually stamped on there twice; once with brown and once with red paint. The tear down the left edge of the brown paper has brown chalk dabbed on it to cover the white showing through after the ripping. And the main product holding it all together is Mod Podge. I love me some Mod Podge. Alright Abe, I have to tell you before you hear from someone else (C + T, you know I'm talking about you gals). The old pair of jeans I mentioned earlier....well, uh, they were yours. I'm sorry but you have the oldest pair of jeans in the house. Honestly, I didn't think you would mind. You can still wear them, it's just that right now one leg is shorter than the other. Thank you for your contribution to the cause. Anyways I have a big feeling of relief getting that done. It is very stressful trying to think of how you want to compose everything. And then you have to take your time doing it, because it would be very easy to mess it up. But enough rambling about an art project.
In other news....there are new photos in the photo collection. Zane and I went to Leander (north of Austin) last night to visit Tyler and Naomi. They had some people over for fajitas and games. It was great to see everyone. Zane was very well behaved and went to bed for a few hours over there until it was time to come home. We had a great weekend. I hope everyone else did, as well.

3 comments:

ChristyR said...

I love some canvas art! It's so much fun and I would love to take two canvas' and hinge them together and make an album out of it! I could go on-don't get me started. So Beth I had a great time in giving what help I might have and lending materials to work with. I listened to some scrapbookers talk tonight and one of them said that(I'm completely not quoting exactly) women shouldn't say they aren't creative...cos they create-create life, so really every woman is creative. I liked when she said this. I thought you know we all have it in us-our natural ability. Love it! Abe-no giving Beth any hard time about a on the rise hobby. She is your family's historian. There is no other greater importance than that!

Team Manager said...

I think Christine is referring to the cost associated with said hobby. But I will try to be good :) I cut up the old jeans that you wear for working on the cars and stuff. Carpenter style jeans that might be a little on the small side???? You know which ones?

Jenna said...

Beth, I love the canvas art collage. That is so cool. It looks great and what a darling pic of Zane!