May 4, 2006

My Little Traveler


I'm lucky that Zane is such a good traveler. We just got back home yesterday from a trip to North Texas. My family was having a belated birthday celebration for my younger brother's birthday on Sunday. Well at 9am Sunday morning I decided that Zane and I would drive up for it and stay a few nights. We were on the road within 2 hours. That is probably the fastest I have ever gotten us packed and everything else that goes along with leaving town. Nobody knew we were coming...I love surprising people. We played cards on Sunday and had a great meal complete with birthday cake. On Monday Zane and I drove to my friend Dawn's house to spend time with her and her daughters. We took the kids to a nice park in McKinney for lunch and playtime. It was very nice catching up with Dawn. Her girls are beautiful. (pics of that day are at the end of the photo album at right) The rest of our trip was spent playing cards whenever possible and I managed to run a few errands up there while my Mom kept Zane. Zane enjoyed playing with his cousins and spending time with family.
The picture you see here was actually taken on our trip to Wisconsin a few weeks ago. There are more pics from that trip in the photo album at right. The first one is my brother, Chad. He lives in Wisconsin and we usually only see him once or twice a year. The other pics are taken at my parents' cabin. I had bought Connect Four for Zane to play with while we were up there. He is obviously too young to play the game, but I knew he would like putting the pieces inside the gameboard, and he did. Zane was heartbroken to learn that he couldn't go out in the boat. He tried so hard, too. He even brought me a life jacket and tried to put one on himself. No one had even mentioned the words life jacket, so he must have remembered that from last summer. He sat (on the porch) in the inflatable boat that's up there for the kids and said "Mommy, boat, water?", but I had to keep telling him no because it was just too cold to go out on the water. It saddened him so I am sure he will be happy to go on some boat rides this summer. While we were at my cousins' place for Easter we managed to get in 2 euchre tournaments. For those of you that don't know, euchre is a card game. We had 12 players spread out over 3 tables and it was a lot of fun. It has been over a decade since we last had a euchre tournament. I didn't win anything but love the game, nonetheless.
There are a couple of photos in the middle of the album of Zane wearing a crazy straw hat. That belongs to Abe and is related to work, if you can believe it. Zane likes to go in Abe's closet to get that hat and play with it.
Well, we are headed to the commissary for groceries. I hope everyone is having a great week!!

5 comments:

ChristyR said...

Spontaneous trips are so fun! Good for you for going and I'm sure your brother was happy you showed!

Euchre...love it! I think we played Euchre every weekend while stationed in hawaii. My friend, Aricka, and I were pretty much unbeatable! Maybe next weekend we'll have enough to play and that know how to play...we can work out eye signals now! Have a great week!

Rinny said...

Although I have no idea what Euchre is, apparently it is well loved. Maybe I should have a friend teach me. Does it have any reason for someone to yell out, "I'll take your Blue Bean?"
I hope you know I am just kidding with you. :)

I can't get over how gorgeous Zane is. You two are going to have your hands full shortly. Hope to see y'all soon!

Anonymous said...

Glad ya'll had fun in north Texas...you know I love spontaneous trips...they are the best kind! All I have to say is your family is one card playing family! That's awesome!
Glad your home!

Anonymous said...

I am glad we got to visit, but am sorry Carolyn was such a grump that day. Hopefully, we'll see you again soon- Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth - eucher is a really fun game. now if I can just remember how to play it, maybe a game will ensue when Abe is home for R&R. As you probably know, I just figured out how use the messenger thing and got to "talk" to Abe the other day and see him on the cam and everything. that was SO fun. Sounds like you had a great time in Wisconsin and at the bday party. I can't see the links to your pictures, though.
You are so good at surprising people. I bet the Abe is kind of dissapointing in that area, since he is so hard to surprise. it's getting close til we get to see him. I can't wait and I know you can't either. xxoo cj