Apr 21, 2007

Landline telephone...

is it really necessary? After just taking a long hard look at our Embarq phone bill, I have to wonder...can we survive on cell phones alone? Who out there has a cell phone and nothing else? How is that working out for you?



Right now, we have local and unlimited long distance service to the house and it is running $85 a month. An astonishing $25 of that is nothing but taxes and surcharges!! Abe and I each have a cell phone and we share 500 minutes a month with unlimited nights and weekends. So far we have not gone over on our minutes. But I'm thinking even if we gave up the landline and had to increase the minutes on our plan, we'd be saving money. Our cell phone comes with all the features that our landline does, or the ones we care about, at least. Like caller ID, call waiting and unlimited long distance. We get great reception at the house. So how badly do we need the landline? Is there something I'm missing? I just hate the thought of wasting $85/month for something we can totally live without. I'll have to run all this by the mister, but I am seriously ready to give it up.

10 comments:

Yours truly said...

If you have high speed internet may I recommend Vonage? 24.99 a month unlimited everything and with taxes under 30.00. If you're interested I will send you a link

Anonymous said...

Downsize the landline to just local. Drop the caller i.d. & other extras. Go with a streamlined plan. Soon Zane will be able to call 911 if you need help. I think having a phone in one specific spot is very important for emergency situations. You can get a calling card no. for long distance if needed for 3.4 cents a min. at Sam's. Cell phone batteries rundown - I think you still need a landline with two little boys in your care. mb from TC

Anonymous said...

We tried the no landline thing for like two months and hated it. But we have a horrible cell phone/reception...not sure which one. But we have phone from Time Warner and it is $40 a month. The problems we have with our phone are our actual phone not the line, we are too lazy to go buy a new one.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah we went with Time Warner over Vonage simply because it was easier, Time Warner came out and set everything up for no charge and they support it if there is a problem...Vonage you are on your own. But you know us we like to be serviced :)

Rinny said...

Bill lived for a little over a year with just a cell phone and it worked fine for him. I, personally, want the land line. We had AT&T and then dropped them because it was too expensive and their customer service sucked. Now we have digital phone through Time Warner. No offense to Jori at all, but I have been informed that Vonage is in disputes right now with Verizon regarding their set-up....long drawn out explanation, but Vonage may, or may not be around much longer....depends on litigation. Basically. land line, good, but go digital. Amen.

Lora said...

I haven't had a landline for five or six years, but we will probably be getting a no-frills line for emergencies in the next year or so. That whole safety thing.

Yours truly said...

If you can get the bundled service from Time Warner to make it cheap - yes, do it. (fine print folks - it's AS LOW AS 39.95 IF you bundle it with Digital Cable and Road Runner).

I'm a cheap bastard.

: )

And now I have to research this Vonage thing. Egads.

Team Manager said...

Thanks everyone for your input. I think we are leaning towards the Time Warner option. We already use them for cable and internet so it should be $40 which sounds a lot better than $85.

Melissa's Stampin' Spot said...

WOW I'm with you on this phone thing it is way to much. We have to look into ours as well... OH and You have been tagged list 7 things about yourself tag 7 others. That baby is GORGEOUS!! Can't wait to see him!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth! Hope all is well. We have the basic for our home phone with Embarq. It just makes me feel better. Any long distance we do, we use the cell phones and that's on the weekends. Good luck! Hope to see you soon!