Jun 13, 2007

Evolution of a Workbench

Yesterday marked 13 years since Abe and I first met. Aside from a couple of brief "let's break up, I don't know what I want" periods, we have been inseparable ever since. I won't bore you with all the sappy, gushy adjectives I could use to describe Abe. But I wanted to share one of his qualities that I admire and love him for. He is handy.



If there is something that needs fixin' around the house or on a vehicle he will give it his all before calling someone else to do it. And by giving his all, I mean that he usually is more than capable of getting the job done. That is a very valuable trait. I do know a few gents that don't know a hammer from a screwdriver (maybe that's an exaggeration) and it makes me appreciate Abe even more.



About 6 weeks ago, he decided to build himself a workbench. It had been on his to-do list for some time. The ultimate purpose for this workbench is to serve as his "desk" for building a hot rod. If he had his way, the "desk" would be in an "office" all his own. But until we move to another house, that isn't a very likely option for us. He will have to share his "office" for now.


He did lots of research online to find a plan that worked for him. He made a few mathematical modifications to make good use of the lumber he already had on-hand. He cut all of his pieces in one session (courtesy of a friends' table saw).






He built it from the bottom up.







He is very serious and careful about his work.







He had an inspector verify that all components were safe and reliable, to prevent any serious injury in the future.







And here you have the finished project. I use finished loosely, because he still needs to do some sanding and staining. Then the fun part, organizing all his tools and coming up with a logical and practical system for storing everything you would find on a workbench. Yes, I said fun...I hope to be a part of the organizing, really I do. I guess the fun part for him will be starting work on that aforementioned hot rod. He may not believe me, but I think that will be fun, too.

2 comments:

Rinny said...

when we get the funds/lumber/time together we will have to see if we can talk you and your lovely husband into coming to help build a deck. I am with you though....Bill can play with the tools and stuff....I will happliy assist in any organizational situations.

Anonymous said...

So uh where is the hot rod?