Jul 30, 2007

Update # 15

Zane experienced 2 grand mal seizures while we were visiting in North Texas. The first one happened on Friday morning and went longer than 5 minutes so I had to administer Diastat to make it stop. Within another 5-6 minutes the Diastat had stopped the seizure and he slept for 5 hours. I spoke to the doctor and he had us increase Zane's night time dose of Zonegran from 50mg to 100mg starting that night. He did say that it could take a week to 10 days to get full coverage from the new medication. We were still in that window on Friday. At that point I decided to continue with our visit and just hope for the best.




Then during the night he had another one. Fortunately we were at my sister's which means Zane and I were sharing a bed. I woke up at 2:30 to the sound of him having a seizure. This is the first one we know of taking place while he slept. This one only lasted 3-4 minutes so I didn't have to give the Diastat again. He just slept like normal following the seizure and woke up at normal time in the morning Saturday. I decided we should cut our trip short and head for home. I wanted to be closer to the doctor and hospital should anything more serious happen. We got home Saturday afternoon and haven't had any incidents since.




Zane has been acting differently since the increased dosage, though. The best way to describe him is it's as if he is drunk. He is very unsteady and uncoordinated. He has been talking differently, too....long and drawn out and slightly slurred. This is very difficult to witness as his Mom. I hope that it is just a temporary reaction to the increased Zonegran. We are planning to speak to the doctor today regarding it. Oh and as for the myoclonic seizures...they appear to be gone now. I haven't seen one in several days now.

1 comment:

Rinny said...

Y'all are so strong. I can't imagine how painful it must be to go through as parents. You are amazing. Truly....I look up to y'all so much. Still planning on going this weekend?