Sep 1, 2007

We're hanging in there...

All in all I'd say we had a pretty good week considering we are new to the diet and it was the first week of school and Zane was thrown into the potty training issue again on account of school. As you already know Monday was a bad day for seizures...roughly 30 of them and we had to pick Zane up about 30 minutes early that day. Then Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were perfect. He didn't have any seizures at all for those 3 days. Yesterday was off to a great start. He woke up on his own and I went to his school to monitor his lunch and all was fine. But just after 12:00 we got a call from the school nurse. Zane had had a drop seizure and hit the back of his head pretty hard on the floor. He was in her office and seemed to be okay but she said his head didn't have any swelling and thought he should probably be taken in for an X-ray. So we picked him up and headed straight for the ER at Darnall Army Community Hospital. We spent the next 3 1/2 hours there. The doctors determined Zane did not need a CT scan because of the nature of his fall and his age. Had he been under 12 months of age and hit his head with no swelling they would do an X-ray or CT scan. But because he is older and he only fell from a standing position they didn't feel it was necessary. He was acting completely normal so they just told us to watch for anything abnormal or sudden changes in him. By the time we wrapped up there the last thing I wanted to do was come home and cook dinner. We decided to take the plunge and take Zane to a restaurant for the first time on his diet. This may not sound like a big deal, but I have read a book where the family did not go to a restaurant until about a year into the diet. Honestly, I didn't think it would be necessary to wait so long and after last night, it really isn't all that difficult. We decided to eat at Outback Steakhouse because we could order a steak for Zane and sirloin is something I knew I had seen on his list of foods in the computer program I use to calculate his meals. So we ran home to grab the scale and his side items, Sprite Free, strawberries and "ice cream" (frozen heavy whipping cream and canola oil). We packed his lunch bag just as if he was going to school. Abe and I ordered the same thing we usually do. Zane did ask for some bread but quickly accepted the fact that he couldn't have any because it isn't part of his magic diet. We ordered him the kid-size portion of sirloin but asked for his side item to be boxed up before they brought the meal to the table so that the only thing on his plate was the steak. Once the food arrived we weighed his portion of the sirloin (19 grams) and removed the rest of the steak from his plate. He ate his dinner, we ate ours and there were no problems to speak of. Of course I had the camera along to document our first restaurant experience on the diet.









Did I mention that the drop seizure he had at school was the only seizure he had yesterday? I was expecting an afternoon full of multiple seizures because that has been the norm. The last time he had a day with only 1 seizure was August 8th. With 3 days of no seizures and yesterday with only 1, could it be that the diet might be helping?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness - only one seizure in 3 days! This is such a relief after so many days with so many seizures. That diet may be "magic" afterall. Zane seems pretty happy to comply, too. Good job Jacquot family!
Love you all... Nana

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do think the diet is the solution to this quandry. Keep up the good work and I am so proud of Zane and of you for sticking to the plan. Stay strong - the Lord will see you through this. mb from tc