Oops...I just figured out that yesterday was Veteran's Day. It's always on the 11th of November. I was thinking it was one of those holidays that is observed on Mondays. So I thought today was Veteran's Day. So happy belated Veteran's Day to all soldiers past and present. I don't even want to think about the state of our country without all the hard working men and women of the Armed Forces.
I feel compelled to share a quick little story from the other day while Zane waited to see Dr. Crisp. Abe was dressed in uniform because he had to go straight to work after the appointment. We were sitting in the waiting room which is a large, open space. I looked up and noticed a young man of about 12 or 13 years walking our way. He had a buzz cut, glasses, braces and wore a utility tool on his belt. He was dressed in hunting camo from head to toe. He marked his spot in the novel he was reading with his left hand as he outstretched his right towards Abe. He said "Sir, thanks for serving." Abe said "thank you" and the boy replied "no, thank you." It was very touching, in fact I found myself a little choked up by it all. I'm not sure but I think Abe may have been a little choked up as well. He was impressed at the very least. I watched as the boy returned to his seat. I expected him to immediately talk to his parents as if they had encouraged to make the gesture. But he sat alone. He spoke to no one. It was all his idea. A few minutes later his parents came out of the exam area and the boy joined them on their way out. His act of gratitude reminded me that I don't thank our service men and women enough.

6 comments:
What a sweet story. :)
Aw cute story.
Wow! It's awesome to hear of someone so young showing respect and gratitude like that.
Congrats on the new car, by the way.
As long as they keep paying me, I'll keep doing it.
Thank you, service men for keeping us safe. I wish we could keep you all safe at home with us.
Abe's mom.
This story was truly inspirational. It just gives you hope that there are people out there who appreciate all the soldiers do; even more amazing that the boy was so young. What a great story. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment