We've been busy trying to keep up with the holidays. The weekend following Thanksgiving we went to check out Nature in Lights. That is something we do every year even though it never seems to change. It is still magical. Friday, Abe (with a little help from me) got our exterior lights hung. He did a fabulous job. Yesterday we went to the mall to have the boys' picture taken with Santa. Zane also had a few things to say to Santa. Last night we had movie night and watched A Christmas Story with Zane. That was his first time watching it and he must have liked it because he already asked to watch it this morning. We plan to knock out some serious Christmas shopping this week, as well as go get our tree from a tree farm in nearby Salado. Saturday we have Abe's company Christmas party. And there are plenty of other holiday plans for the remainder of the month. I do love this time of year though, despite the busy pace of it. Before I know it, Christmas will be over and we will be well into 2008. I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts.
Our plan this Christmas is to be at home for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We will visit family a few days later. This will be Zane's first time waking up in his own home on Christmas morning. We have always been out of town in the past. We have only had a Christmas tree at home once in his lifetime. He was 14 months at the time and probably doesn't even remember anything about it. I am really looking forward to starting our own family traditions. I'm still trying to figure out what they will be but I imagine part of establishing tradition is just whatever comes naturally for you and your family.
While I was growing up we always opened one present on Christmas Eve. The rest were opened on Christmas Day but we spread them out throughout the day. It might be one every hour or one after every card game, just depended on how much we had to open. It was nice having the fun last all day long. Our stocking gifts were opened all at once, first thing Christmas morning. Santa always wrapped our gifts. It wasn't until fairly recently that I realized that isn't the case for everyone. Also, while opening gifts we would start with the oldest person. Then the next round of opening would begin with the youngest. It would rotate like that throughout the day.
What holiday traditions do you remember from childhood? What have you carried on to your family now? Have you started something new?
Here are a few pics from Friday while Brody was helping us put up the lights outside.

I think he is thinking "are you sure you know what you are doing up there, Daddy?"
And of course I had to torment him with the Santa (and Eyore, for some reason) hat from hell. He really didn't like it.



2 comments:
When I was growing up we always opened one present on xmas eve, so far we haven't done that with the girls. But I do want to start. The girls get new xmas PJs to wear on xmas eve night, thats the only real tradition I can think of right now...lol. We always wrap all of the presents too. And making it last thru the day would never fly here. Xmas morning is over in like 30mins here...lol.
Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend! We watched Elf the other day, I love that movie! Good luck with the Xmas shopping, I have already knocked out a good portion of ours! YAY!
Growing up we usually opened one present Christmas Eve and then went to the Christmas Eve Candlight Service at the local Methodist Churtch, and then would open the rest of our presents Christmas morning. We all had handmade stockings either made by mom or grandmother (Bill is getting his this year....it is a Rudolph like mine). The stockings were usually empty, but this year they will be full.
Either me or my brother would play Santa and hand out presents to one another. Other than that...usually eat, sleep, and watch movies or play card games. Good, easy, and lazy holidays.
Post a Comment