Jan 23, 2008

Evil with a capital "D"

Here's my take on Zyrtec. If it is prescribed for you or anyone you know, pay careful attention to the possible side effects. The only warning on the Zyrtec website is that it may cause drowsiness. But Zane took it back in October and experienced hallucinations and terrible mood swings. We quickly discontinued its' use. In fact if Lora had not tipped me off in her comment on that post we probably would have endured far worse and for longer. But once she mentioned that it gave her nightmares I did some research online. I came across this website and found multiple stories from parents that went something like this:



"Fits of irrational responses (screaming, hitting, rage), twitching, nightmares, sleep walking, extremely emotional"



and this:
"nightmares, mood swings, hallucinations, crying outburst, bed wetting accidents, facial twitches"



There are countless other testimonials given, both good and bad. But the bad is really bad. Kids being kicked out of daycare for biting and just being uncontrollable. Some even going so far as being diagnosed with ADHD or Autism. But once they discontinued the Zyrtec all things returned to normal.



Now of course we decided back in October to never give it to Zane again. The reason it has come up again is because I was talking to my friend the other day and she mentioned that her 4 year old was doing much better in school and at home, behaviorally. And that he was sleeping better at night and just back to his usual, sweet self. For the previous 4 months he had been a completely different child. Easily upset and irritable, acting up in school and waking up during the night. Come to find out he started taking Zyrtec when school started and they just thought all the problems were a result of school. Perhaps it was just too much for him. Well when they saw the changes after discontinuing the Zyrtec they knew that wasn't the case.



Of course she is kicking herself now and as a parent that's hard not to do. She thought she was doing what was best for her son's allergies. She has vowed to research any medication prescribed to her kids from here on out, before giving it to them. I have to agree that that is our job as informed patients and parents. It's so easy to trust our healthcare professionals but we can't rely on them alone. We have to be our own advocates. So I too, vow to do my own research. After everything I've read about Zyrtec, it's just too scary not to.



Now I want to emphasize that Zyrtec probably works well for plenty of people and without any side effects at all. I just wanted to share my experience with it, as well as my friends'.



And to make matters worse, check out what I got in the mail today...

7 comments:

Rinny said...

We haven't ever used Zyrtec, but you better believe that we would think twice now!

Tracy Morris said...

Well thankfully for us, none of us have allergies so Zyrtec won't be a problem for us. But I have had bad experiences with another medication a long time ago and now I always read about what I or the girls may have to take. WebMd is a great resource. I used it for all of my Microbiology case studies and always did well on them, so the info must be fairly accurate...haha. Thankfully, the girls don't really ever have to take anything besides some tylenol or something for a cold.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the title "Devil in a Bottle"! We have discussed this before, and my oldest (5 at the time) had a similar experience with Allegra and Zyrtec. She was highly emotional and easily enraged to fit mode. We also atributed the outbursts to starting school in the fall. However, she is med free due to changes we made at home, and MUCH less emotional. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Beth. By the way, our Allergist said that both meds are fine and "wouldn't have caused the outbursts". JR

We Four Explorers said...

Very interesting. Gabe has been off of Zyrtec for over a month and we've noticed quite a change in him. I thought it was because the allergy shots and new/different meds that he's on are working better for him. I never once thought that the Zyrtec could be hurting him, but he does seem more alert and there has been no trouble in school (if you remember, he was having trouble adjusting to kindergarten). Hmmmmm.........I wonder.....

Planet Dixon said...

Wow. Ally takes singulair and claritin, and doesn't have any issues. I'm thankful she was never prescribed zyrtec and I will definitely stay away from it!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted this!! I want to make as many parents aware of this "poison" as possible. Sheldon has not had his color changed at school in almost two weeks, he follows directions and is a happy sweet little boy. His teachers are amazed by the difference. I hope this post will end up helping other parents also! Thanks Beth!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to read this as I was just thinking about taking Zyrtec myself. Good to know.