May 20, 2008

My Perfect Day

I know Mother's Day has come and gone but I wanted to write about mine, nonetheless. I want to be able to read about my special day in the future (with my memory, I'm sure to forget the details).



The day started off with us all getting up and dressing for breakfast at a local family restaurant. It was nice starting the day without having to do any cooking and cleaning up afterwards. From there we headed to a park in Killeen that we had yet to check out. It has a nice bike/hike trail and a fun playground for the kiddos. So we hung around there for a while, playing, walking and looking for picturesque spots. The weather couldn't have been any more perfect. It was actually cooler than what we had dressed for which was a nice break from the heat we had already experienced up to that point.



While we were at the park I spoke to my sister who was in the process of getting her family out the door to Scarborough Fair. She had asked us a few weeks prior if we wanted to meet them there, it's about 1 hour from her and 2 hours from us. But we declined since we already had a lot going on and had been spending a small fortune on fun stuff already. After hanging up the phone with her I started thinking it over...maybe we should drive up there and surprise them. We didn't have anything else planned anyways and it was early in the day because we start everyday early (not by choice). So I mentioned it to Abe and we went back and forth a bit but decided "what the heck", let's do it. As many of you know, it's a pretty big deal for us to do something spontaneous...we're getting better. Besides we have a hard time saying no to anything fun right now since this deployment is looming over our heads.



So we ran home, packed up the essentials including Zane's food for the day and hit the road. Brody was due for a nap and slept most of the way there. And by some stroke of luck, Zane took a nap, too, basically on demand. It was only like 10:30 but I said "Zane, maybe you should close your eyes and rest so you have energy when we get there". Next thing I know he's sitting there being real still, eyes shut and actually fell asleep. Abe and I had a nice car ride up there where we could actually hold a conversation with each other without interruptions. That is always nice and extremely rare these days.



We spent the next several hours playing at the fair. My sister, her husband, their two boys and my little sis were all there. Zane enjoys playing with his cousins so much that it made the drive up there worth it, in and of itself.



The festival is only open a few weeks every spring. I went there as a little girl and have been several times since then. Including this trip with Abe back in 1995...







If you live within a 3 hour radius and have any interest in the Renaissance or have kids that are interested in the Renaissance then it is definitely a must-do event. One of the activities they had this year, which I don't recall seeing in the past is the Pirate Catapult. Without any hesitation whatsoever, Zane knew he wanted to do it. So he got strapped into a harness and waited his turn in line to do this...
















I bet he was 25-30 feet off the ground at one point. He never cried but you could tell it was a little too high for his liking. But he put on a brave face and finished out his turn. Of course Abe couldn't be out done by his 4 year old kid, so he had a turn, too.








Towards the end of the day Zane and his 4 year old cousin, Jake stopped for a battle to determine who would be crowned King of the Log.








As you can see Zane is not above hitting below the belt.



Zane is playing with a stick toss of sorts, here...







And here are Mommy and Daddy practicing the same sport 13 years earlier...











We made the journey home and put the boys to bed. We had a blast at the fair and it was doubly nice spending our time there with family. The day was perfect in so many ways, I went to bed feeling like a Queen. For more pics of our day, click on the photo collection at right.

5 comments:

Rinny said...

How neat that you have pictures from then and now to look back on and forward to. Bill would love for us to go to Scarborough. We usually just head out the Renfest in Plantersville. Maybe next year.

We Four Explorers said...

Did you see Twig the Fairie? I fell in love with her a few years ago...well, you know what I mean. J~

Planet Dixon said...

It sounds like the perfect day indeed and very well deserved. I love the old pictures of you and Abe. That is precious that you guys have been together so long and are still so in love. :)

Nicole

NesrstaFamily said...

That sounds like the perfect day indeed. Glad you had a good one!

Christie Groth said...

What an awesome post! I love the pic comparisons. Time together is beautiful especially when you look back, huh?