Jun 12, 2008

We're still here...

I know I'm long overdue for a post. I guess I'll start where I left off, roughly.



Wednesday of last week was Zane's last day of school. He was excited about the start of summer but was also sad to have to say goodbye to his friends. He especially misses his friend, Charley. I'm pretty sure she has been his best friend most of the year. They were classmates but she will be moving on to Kindergarten next year. He tearfully said "I want to go to Kindergarten with Charley." I assured him that Charley would stop by Ms. Bravo's room to visit and that he would see her in the hallways.



In a much more bizarre conversation about Charley...Zane was asking about tracking devices the other day (courtesy of Star Wars Episode II). He said tracking devices are for when you want to follow people, right? I said "yes, do you want to have someone followed?" He said "yes, Charley, so I can see where she lives". Pretty creepy, huh? This is the same kid that thinks police officers are bad because they put people in jail. I think we're gonna have to keep an eye on him.



Anyways, I digress. Here's a picture of Zane with his teacher, Ms. Bravo. After we had said goodbye for the hundreth time he said to her "I love you and don't forget this" and lifted up her shirt and blew a raspberry on her stomach.








I don't remember what we did on Thursday. Perhaps it was a little bit of productivity mixed with a little of this...







Friday we had our sitter come over and watch Brody for us in the afternoon while we took Zane to see Kung Fu Panda. We went to the new theater in Harker Heights and never again will we go to the theater in Killeen. It was super nice and way more comfortable than Killeen. They also offer a military discount which the Killeen theater never did. Although I heard that they do now, I wonder why? After the movie we took Zane to Chuck E. Cheese. We had a good time there and it was nice for Abe and I to hang out with Zane together. Usually one of us is chasing Brody while the other is supervising Zane. I know it was good for Zane too, to have all our attention on him.



Saturday Nana (Abe's mom) came for a 2 night visit. Zane enjoyed having Nana sleep in his room with him. They shared an air mattress together while his bed was empty. Brody was hit or miss with Nana. At times he was willing to let her hold him while other times he wouldn't go near her. He is definitely in that separation anxiety phase. He usually always gives kisses though.








We let Nana read Finklehopper Frog to Zane and we didn't warn her ahead of time how much of a tongue twister it is. I love that book, though.








Sunday we all went to Blora (Lake Belton) and actually spent nearly 5 hours there. I never would have guessed the boys would make it that long, so I guess they were having fun. Brody did take a short nap in my arms while we were there. We ate a picnic lunch, played in the sand and of course, swam our little hearts out.



Nana headed home on Monday morning. By Monday evening my brother, Todd was here for an overnight visit. He wanted to say goodbye to Abe in person and had an errand to run in San Marcos. While he was here Monday night the man from Washington state came to get his pick-up truck. Between him, his son, Abe, Todd and Abe's buddy Brent, they were able to get it on the trailer in just a few minutes. They had driven down from Fort Worth and turned right around and headed back up there. We are feeling pretty lucky that sale/transaction/delivery went as smoothly as it did.



Tuesday Abe had to go into work briefly. That afternoon Todd watched the boys for us while we handled something too painful to talk about yet. I'll post about it later. Todd got going that evening and within 2 hours Abe's Dad was here for an overnight visit. His stay was brief, as he got going Wednesday morning about 10am. It was good for he and Abe to get that last visit in before Abe leaves. I'm glad he could make it down.



ADT was here Wednesday to install our new security alarm. The house was not pre-wired for one so it took several hours for them to get the job done. I feel a LOT better having that system in place before Abe takes off. And for my military/USAA friends...ADT and USAA work together and you get a substantial discount because of it. Also, ADT gives 3 months of monitoring free every year for active duty military. So you only pay for 9 months out of every 12. Pretty sweet.



After the installation we took the boys on post for some swimming. Zane finally got up the nerve to go down one of the little slides (without a floatie of any kind). We were at the bottom to "catch" him but we let him go under almost every time. He wasn't afraid and he was very proud of himself, I could tell. We could never quite convince him to go down the bigger slide but I guess baby steps count for something.



Today we spent most of the day running errands. If we weren't out and about we were home hanging out and playing as much as possible. Our time is extremely limited now, every minute counts for so much.



Tomorrow Zane goes back to his Neurologist for a check up in the morning. We're expecting Abe's Aunt, cousins and Uncle to stop in after lunch for a quick visit on their way to San Antonio. And tomorrow night Abe and I have one more date night planned. We're going to catch dinner (not sure where yet, anywhere Abe wants to go) and we're seeing The Happening. Abe will have to do some packing when we get home so it will be a full day to say the least.



In closing I leave you with a snapshot of Zane, I mean Ironman (courtesy of Nana). I was just getting some pics of him modeling his new toy and while I was doing it he fired one of the discs out of his wrist piece. I had no idea until I checked the pics later that I had gotten this shot with the disc mid-air. I don't know about you, but Zane and I think it's pretty cool.




5 comments:

Rinny said...

Very informative. The disc shot is cool. USAA rocks....we have them as well through my Daddy. It's awesome! You talk when you want. And again.....your post has made me feel like a complete slug. Where the energy comes from I will never know. Have a great weekend you four!

Chief Family Officer said...

Whew! I need a nap! You have been busy.

On another note...THANKS, ABE! Thank you so much for your service to our country. Our whole family thanks you and your family from the bottom of our hearts. We will pray for your safe return and for continued strength for Beth. I know that your boys will be so proud of you when they can fully understand what you have done for them and the rest of this country. Thank you.

Tracy Morris said...

It sounds like you guys are taking advantage of every second before Abe leaves, thats awesome. Enjoy your date and let me know how the movie is, I want to see it but I generally don't like M. Night, but I love me some Marky Mark!

Christie Groth said...

You go superwoman! Gracious you guys have been really busy.... Just wanted you to know I was thinking about you. :-( I didn't see many people this morning...well, because I just wasn't feeling very personable. I am feeling a little better now. I just need some SLEEP!

NesrstaFamily said...

I have probably read that story 5 times. Thinking about you guys today.