Nov 12, 2008

After 3 Visits

in the approximately 3 weeks they've been open, I feel compelled and somewhat qualified to give my opinion of one of our new eateries- Cracker Barrel. First let me say I've always been a fan of Cracker Barrel in the past and was quite excited about having one in these parts. Now, I'm not so sure. Last night's experience may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

I can't really say anything too negative about the waitstaff. Sometimes you get someone on top of things, sometimes you don't but that is typical just about anywhere. My biggest complaint is the time it takes to receive your food. I don't know what goes on in the kitchen but it isn't speedy service, that's for sure. Even when Brody and I dined alone and split 1 meal, it took entirely too long. I mean seriously, how long does it take to whip up a skillet?

And to top things off last night (after waiting an eternity for food), I had a run-in with my cashier. I waited in line to pay, got up to the counter and handed her my bill, she ran my credit card and before letting me sign my slip she picked up a phone call that was already on hold. From what I could tell it was an employee on the other end. The cashier was in no way trying to hurry things along. Meanwhile, I'm standing there with a 25 pound baby in my arms and trying to keep an eye on Zane at the same time. And seriously all I needed to do was sign my slip and get my receipt. After several minutes I said "excuse me, can we finish up please?" She had the nerve to look at me like I was crazy. I said "a customer in front of you should not have to wait while you are on the phone". She mumbled something about how it would only take a minute but did proceed to the register to finish our transaction. I said "if you would like to hold my child while you talk on the phone then that's fine". Ten seconds later we were done and out the door. Am I crazy or is that poor customer service?!?!?! I'm sorry, but that call was already on hold and could have waited another 10 seconds until she was done with me. Not only that but she never once tried to explain what she was doing or that she would be with me in a minute or anything to that affect.

Bottom line: If time is not a factor you might enjoy your experience at the Harker Heights Cracker Barrel. But don't go if you are starving or you just might eat your napkin while you wait.

6 comments:

troglodytis said...

Am I crazy or is that poor customer service?!?!?!

not quite sure this is an "either/or" situation.

yes, you're crazy

and, yeppers, bad service.

Christie Groth said...

That's pretty much always been my experience at Cracker Barrel! hahaha We usually sat aside 2 hours, like we do now at Denny's. I love it because I grew up doing it that way nearly every week, but speedy food, or speedy checkout is not their best trait.
As for the lady talking on the phone, I would ABSOLUTELY call the manager about that one. That is not slow....that is RUDE! Downright RUDE!

Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

girl i totally feel you!! i had the same thing happen yesterday at the px only the girl was texting on her cell phone! it wasnt even an employee phone... grrr.. that is such poor customer service.

speaking of poor customer service, i am currently waiting on hold for the hospital just to ask a simple question about if my daughter can get a flu shot yet. it's been 30 minutes and still no answer!!! ugh....

Jenn Kruse said...

Thank God! We don't have to eat there anymore....I am STILL fighting bubble guts! Hopefully we will only choose speedy venues to dine at!

Your word is "pickies", I think it suits this particular blog!

Margaret said...

You asked how long it takes to whip up a skillet and I have the answer...roughly 10 minutes. I whip them up every night. I guess I have a career waiting for me.

Good luck w/ that lady because I know I probably wouldn't have handled that situation so well.

Andrea said...

Sorry for the crappy cashier, I would have been highly annoyed too. We went on a Sunday morning around 8:30 (right after daylight savings) and only waited 15 min which they spent playing with all the toys. The service was good, food came quick and was DELICIOUS. They even said they were shorthanded but I was happy with the service. The line was getting long when we left though. I'd say go early and between paydays to avoid the lines. The food was really excellent though.