I'm totally getting into the holiday spirit. It doesn't usually happen for me until after Thanksgiving but with turkey day falling so late this year, I've got the bug early. I've already made the Christmas cards we'll be sending out (thanks to Melissa for that). And I've officially finished shopping for the boys. That still leaves plenty to be done, but I think it's a pretty good start.
As is typical with this time of year, you can go just about anywhere and find ways to help others. I'd like to share a couple of programs for helping our troops (I know, I'm biased). There are LOTS of programs out there but I tried to pick a couple of simple and affordable options because I know 1) we are all busy this time of year and 2) most of us are having a harder time making ends meet, given the economy. I find both causes to be meaningful.
The first one is called Holiday Mail for Heroes. In a nutshell you can send 10, 20 or just 1 Christmas card to a soldier reminding them that there are people back home that care about them. There are a few requirements, such as no photos or inserts. Use generic salutations and sign the card but don't include any address info in the card. Cards must be postmarked by December 10th so that they can be screened for hazardous materials at a sorting facility and sent on to the soldier in time. The link above also gives information for sending a large quantity of cards, which would make this a great and relatively easy project for schools, church groups, boy scouts, etc. I will give the address at the bottom of this post but I encourage you to visit the link for all the details.
The second program is called Operation Paperback and can be done anytime of the year. They have been sending gently used books to troops overseas since 1999. You can help by either donating money or by packaging and sending your own books. If you are interested, follow the link above. You will register (for free) and accept their volunteer agreement. Then you enter the genres of the books you would like to donate and they match you with recipients. Box them up and send them to the addresses they provide.
Send your Christmas card(s) to:
As is typical with this time of year, you can go just about anywhere and find ways to help others. I'd like to share a couple of programs for helping our troops (I know, I'm biased). There are LOTS of programs out there but I tried to pick a couple of simple and affordable options because I know 1) we are all busy this time of year and 2) most of us are having a harder time making ends meet, given the economy. I find both causes to be meaningful.
The first one is called Holiday Mail for Heroes. In a nutshell you can send 10, 20 or just 1 Christmas card to a soldier reminding them that there are people back home that care about them. There are a few requirements, such as no photos or inserts. Use generic salutations and sign the card but don't include any address info in the card. Cards must be postmarked by December 10th so that they can be screened for hazardous materials at a sorting facility and sent on to the soldier in time. The link above also gives information for sending a large quantity of cards, which would make this a great and relatively easy project for schools, church groups, boy scouts, etc. I will give the address at the bottom of this post but I encourage you to visit the link for all the details.
The second program is called Operation Paperback and can be done anytime of the year. They have been sending gently used books to troops overseas since 1999. You can help by either donating money or by packaging and sending your own books. If you are interested, follow the link above. You will register (for free) and accept their volunteer agreement. Then you enter the genres of the books you would like to donate and they match you with recipients. Box them up and send them to the addresses they provide.
Send your Christmas card(s) to:
Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

2 comments:
It wasn't a dud! I read on my phone and bookmarked it so I could look into the programs today while I was at work.
Okay, now I'm going back to yesterdays post because I think I saw boobs there while I was scrolling down and I'm dying to see those puppies!
Did someone mention puppies?
And i agree no dud...I was actually thinking I might be able to get Kiara's class to do the Xmas card one, her teacher asked me if we could do something! So definitely not a dud..thanks for the idea!
Post a Comment