Nov 9, 2008

Public Service Announcement

I came across a bit of info that doesn't apply to me but I thought I'd share it because I had never heard of it before and thought it might be helpful to some of you out there (or your Moms, sisters, Aunts, cousins, what-have-you).

It is in regard to Pap Tests and is taken directly from a publication by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:

"If you were born between 1940 and 1971, and your mother was given a synthetic form of the hormone estrogen called diethylstilbestrol (DES) when she was pregnant with you, be sure to tell your doctor. Your doctor willl want to take additional cells to check for a rare type of cancer."

4 comments:

Jenn Kruse said...

Joy!!!.....BTW, choga is your word verification, sounds Beth-like to me! Chant it with me- CHOGA! CHOGA! CHOGA!

Christie Groth said...

Well that's just awesome and of course, I'm in that damn window. I LLLOOOVVVVEEEEE the medical community just in case the whole world didn't know it. Ugh... I'll tell my dr. Thanks for letting me know because you can almost bet drs won't be shouting it from the rooftops until they are forced to do so.
Oh Beth, I got "ineeking"...sounds very much like you huh? hahaha sneaky sneaky

FiFi said...

Hi guys,

Anybody know which countries this affects? Its just I'm sure Mum was on some form of something hormonal before and when she was pregnant with my sister, and that was in 1968. I'm too young for this to affect me though. We live in the UK.

Nice to meet you, and thanks!

Btw, my word verification is fratc, now if this will affect my sister I will be frantic!!!!

Team Manager said...

Hi Fifi! I really can't say which countries this applies to. I will leave that question for your (sister's) doctor. Welcome!