Nov 29, 2008

Thanksgiving, Smanksgiving

Sure I have plenty to be thankful for but right now I just feel like venting...about growing older. Yes, it's something we all do, but until now-ish I never really felt my age.

It all started about 6 weeks prior to my 33rd birthday. My right hip and lower back just started aching out of the blue. At first I attributed it to standing for hours on end at a Flogging Molly concert. But when the pain didn't subside after a few days I grew more concerned. Eventually I went to the doctor but still do not have a diagnosis. We have ruled out kidney stone(s) (courtesy of a CT Scan) and next I go for an MRI of my back.

Add to it a sore left wrist. And by sore I mean noticeable pain with the slightest bit of pressure applied. I fear this will be something along the lines of a cyst or carpal tunnel. But then again I haven't really researched either so hopefully I'm wrong. I'll be exploring this issue with the doc next time I see her.

Also I have something going on with the right side of my neck/collar bone area. It's as if something is pulled or strained but it has been going on for about a week now with no improvement. I have no trouble moving my head from side to side but if I raise my right hand in the air it hurts in my neck. Sounds weird, I know.

To top things off I've found gray hair regularly since turning 33. I really ought to stop looking. I go to the hair dresser next week so I guess I can fool myself for a little while after that.

I have dry, chapped knuckles. And by dry, chapped, I mean bleeding, sore. That seems to be a regular occurrence during the colder winter months. Washing my hands 1,178 times a day doesn't help either.

Since I'm on a roll with this complaining thing, I don't mind telling you that I've lived with scoliosis my entire life, vitiligo for the past 6-8 years and my coccyx has never been the same since birthing two bowling balls.

I figure I just need something to go wrong with my left foot or ankle and you can classify me a full on geriatric. Speaking of which, it's almost 9pm. I need to drag this old bag of bones to bed!

7 comments:

Rinny said...

And all this going on when we saw you....never would have guessed it. Hope you get an answer for your hip at least. Knowing how much you move around it must be horrid. Happy Holidays anyway.

NesrstaFamily said...

Is Marijuana legal yet? I have a strong argument for medicinal purposes. Hope you feel better, or at least find an answer to your pain. Oh, and when you do, please share it with all of us. Now, I am going to take two tylenol for my back pain!

Lora said...

Ick. I say get yourself into a rheumatologist. I have a lot of these same symptoms and when they hurt my rheumatoid levels tend to be up. Or it might be fibromyalgia or something equally as rotten. Then again, 33 IS pretty old, so maybe its just that...

Jenn Kruse said...

I agree with Lora. It's an easy blood test, no scans required. I guess a perk to be a girl is that we do get our hair colored often, hiding those tiny reminders of our age-my gray came at 30!

You DO a great job of acting like you feel fine, I admire that about you.....take care ol' bag!

Tracy Morris said...

Sorry to hear your feeling so shitty! I agree about the rheumatologist or fibro...all tho with that you are also unusually tired.

Getting old sucks, I felt that this summer as my back freaked out!

Margaret said...

I have fibro (& about everything else on the face of this earth) and it sucks, but it feels more like you have run a marathon and all you've done is take a short walk down the road, but it wouldn't hurt to check w/ a rheum. because they could tell you if it is arthritis/ fibro. Also, if you are old and geriatric because of all your pains, it scares me to think what I am...29 and crippled. Feel better soon. Complain away...I always make you listen to me, whether you choose to or not...hee hee.

Christie Groth said...

Welcome to the REAL world of aging. :-( GET READY GALS! You only think you have hurt thus far. It starts with childbirth and continues on a downhill trot. Exercise seems to be the best cure all along with massages. They hurt horribly (and I mean HORRIBLY) at first but the payoff is worth it. Now to make myself stay on my routine... If I could only afford the weekly massages my MIL gets. ugh...
I hope your dr gets your pains pegged though....or at least tells you what to do to ease or prevent further damage.
Good Luck!