Jan 9, 2009

As Far As Car Accidents Go

this one was perfect, except for the fact that I was at fault. Yes, that's right, I just rear-ended someone not one hour ago. I was leaving a doctor's appointment in Cove, and was contemplating whether or not to visit Zane at school or just stop at home breifly before meeting a few girlfriends. I had actually just told myself it wouldn't be worth it to go to the school on account of how little time I would get to spend there. Little did I know my time would be cut even shorter.

I was following two cars through a left hand turn onto Hwy 190, putting us in the far right lane of 3. The lead car was going insanely slow. After completing the turn I looked in my rear view mirror then over my left shoulder to see about changing to the middle lane. I had started to veer to the left when I turned back to the front and saw the car in front of me at a near stop. Turns out the lead car was turning right, again at an insanely slow speed (see where I'm placing the blame, lol). So I knicked the rear left bumper of the car in front of me with my front right bumper. We pulled over, called the police, exchanged information and went on our merry little ways (I came home, she went to have her nails done by a girl named "Beth", not two blocks away from our accident).

Now here's why it was perfect:
  • I didn't have the kids with me

  • nobody got hurt

  • because the lead car was going so (say it with me) insanely slow, the damage was nothing more than a few scratches to both vehicles, no dents even

  • the cop didn't see a need for a report which meant no citation for me

  • the lady was VERY understanding and is willing to handle it without getting insurance companies involved if it's as cheap as we think it will be

  • I really had nowhere else I had to be at that moment

  • the weather is nice

  • I have a very understanding and loving husband (have I mentioned lately, he's the best thing that's ever happened to me?)

Here's a couple pics of the damage...





Not too bad, huh? If there is a next time, I hope I'm this lucky again.





6 comments:

Lora said...

ha! i have worse scratches than that from PARKING! on-street, parallel-parking can be brutal!

Jennifer Bowen said...

Glad you're ok and the car has minimal damage. Thank goodness for understanding husbands, huh? Gotta love 'em! :)

Dorie said...

a little red finger nail polish and Abe would have never known! Ha! Just Kidding!

Margaret said...

Great news...well, except for the actual accident portion, but if you have to wreck that is the way to do it. Glad it turned out that well for you.

troglodytis said...

abe has no room to be anything but understanding when it comes to auto accidents. sure, he would be anyways, but his history dictates that he MUST be forgiving on this one.


p.s. word of the day is pedscome

Debra said...

Glad you only had little damage!