Jan 29, 2009

I Feel Guilty

for not jumping on the recycling band wagon sooner. But now that I have, it feels awesome!


I called the City of Killeen a few weeks back to request a tub and curbside pickup. They informed me it would be a couple of weeks as they were out of tubs at the time.

It showed up last week and today I set it out by the curb and it was completely full. Our trash can on the otherhand, was almost completely empty.

For my K-town homies, it's only $2.13 per month for curbside recycling. They take paper, plastic, glass and aluminum.

I'm gonna see how it goes the next few weeks but we might be able to downsize our trash can, in which case the savings there will cover the cost of the recycling. Too easy!

5 comments:

Tracy Morris said...

It is ridiculous that you have to pay for it there. We never did it...and there was a tub in our garage. I didn't realize it was so cheap...but still the township should pick up the cost. Then again, the property taxes here are much higher. So anyways, happy recycling!

Rinny said...

I wish that our recycling took glass. Glad you are taking advantage of the availability thought. Congratulations.

Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

I had no idea it was so inexpensive to recyle! Wow! I haven't done it because I thought it was more expensive. I'm calling them today! Thanks Beth... I think everyone jumping on the "Go Green" bandwagon is great!

Debra said...

I loved recycling too when we lived on base:) It made me feel good that I was doing something for the environment:) Good for you girl!

Andrea said...

I *heart* recycling! I never knew the cost in Killeen $2.13 isn't bad at all. It's unfortunate they do charge because less people will do it but there are costs involved they need to cover. I like your point that you will be able to downsize your can and in the long run be paying less. I've always collected mine and take it to the bins at the Commissaries. I just load up my truck once a month and take it when I do my big shopping trip. Now they have them all over post including at Dave's work so I can get him to take it too. We usually have only 1-2 bags of actual trash and it doesn't matter if we miss a trash day, our can still isn't full by the next one. I'm glad you joined the club :) P.S. They accept glass on post now too.