Jul 29, 2010

Toronto: Day Eleven



If you want to buy beer in Ontario, you have to buy it here. And I mean that almost literally. You can't purchase beer or alcohol at the grocery store or convenience store like you can in the States. In Ontario, there are basically two places to purchase such things, The Beer Store or The Liquor Store (aka LCBO which stands for Liquor Control Board of Ontario). I haven't been inside one of these yet but Abe stopped in with his classmate after school yesterday. He said it was basically a small storefront with makers and prices posted on the wall. You tell them what you want and someone sends your order down the conveyer belt from the back. Their prices were considerably higher than what we are used to in the States. But according to their website, they take back all of the packaging materials that they sell: bottles, cans, cartons, caps, kegs, plastic bags and can rings. I don't think you get a refund on everything but I believe you can get a refund on some of it. So kudos to them for being environmentally friendly.

2 comments:

Tracy Morris said...

In the northeast you can't buy beer, wine or liquor in grocery stores or convenience stores either...just liquor stores. It's only the south that you can buy a big ole' 40 already in ice at the gas station.

Anonymous said...

I like the signage for the beer store. Lucky for me I don't wanna buy beer in Canada.
Great photos all week, Beth!
Nana